September 02, 2014, 05:15:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Benefits - DLA, Direct Payments, Blue Badges, Tax Credits, Housing benefit etc  (Read 8113 times)
angeleyes40
Site Owner
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« on: May 02, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a non means tested benefit paid to any UK resident who have a mental or physical disability....  

This benefit is made up of two components.... the care component for those who have difficulty with personal care and the mobility component for those that experience difficulities with their mobility.

Depending on the severity of your requirements there are differant eligibility sections.. care low rate, middle rate and high rate, whilst the mobility component is only payable in low rate and high rate..

Disability Living Allowance

Action for ME guide to filling in the DLA form here

Action for ME guide - the home visit/medical for adults and children here

Disability Living Allowance factsheet re DLA
here

Premiums for disabled people
If you suddenly get DLA and are on Incapacity benefit in particular you may not get told about this benefit.

Carer's Allowance:  This is a benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.  

Attendance Allowance: A tax free benefit for the over 65's who have an illness/disability and require help with personal care.

Many people find the DLA form very complex and repetitive and struggle to fill in the required information and there are many websites offering guidelines on how to fill in the DLA form, Benefits and Work being one in particular.  

For those who are struggling your local Welfare Rights Office can also be very helpful (usually contactable via your local council office). They can help to fill in the form and if later down the line you need to go to appeal.. then they will help and guide you every step of the way.

There is also a document style of form which you can hand to your GP on another part of this board, that may be very helpful when doing the DLA form. The link is here (2nd post down)

Direct Payments

Direct Payments

Direct payments are local council payments for people who have been assessed as needing help from social services, and who would like to arrange and pay for their own care and support services instead of receiving them directly from the local council.

A person must be able to give their consent to receiving direct payments and be able to manage them even if they need help to do this on a day-to-day basis.

They are another way of accessing help and some people with ME/CFS do get assistance through this route.

The Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge Scheme is an important service for people with severe mobility problems that enables badge holders to park close to where they need to go. The scheme operates throughout the UK, and is administered by local authorities who deal with applications and issue badges.

Blue Badge how to apply for it
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:51:28 PM by agapanthus » Logged

There is more CFS/ME information and CFS/ME sufferers stories and experiences on the Main Website Please take a look....
angeleyes40
Site Owner
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are currently in receipt of housing benefit there is additional help available called a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Your local council will take into consideration your monthly income and deduct your monthly outgoings and present the difference to your local authority. Once they have reviewed all the information you will be notified on how many deductions you are entitled to monthly, this award will only last for 6 months at a time and then depending on your circumstances you can reapply.

England Discretionary Housing Payments

Scotland Discretionary Housing Payments

Council Tax reduction for disabled people

Having a disability does not automatically entitle you to a reduction as there are certain requirements that must be met, such as an additional bathroom or kitchen required to meet the needs of the disabled person, a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) required to meet the needs of the disabled person, and used predominantly by them, extra space inside the property to allow for the use of a wheelchair etc...  

See the link below for further details...

Council Tax reduction for disabled people
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:39:05 AM by agapanthus » Logged

There is more CFS/ME information and CFS/ME sufferers stories and experiences on the Main Website Please take a look....
angeleyes40
Site Owner
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:48:05 AM »

Tax Credits

Tax credits are paid to low earners but depending on your income the actual amount payable may differ.

If you are working 16 hours a week and have at least one child to care for then you may be entitled to Tax Credits.. and if you have no dependants and are working 30 hours a week you may also have an entitlement.  

A typical family on a low wage can claim Child Tax Credit on top of their child benefit... and additionally you will be able to claim for Childcare Costs....  See Links For Further Details....  

If you are currently in receipt of Disability Living Allowance you may be entitled to an additional Premium.. as long as you work 16 hours a week or more..
This element is paid regardless whether you have dependants or not...

Tax Credit Disability Help Sheet/ pdf file

Disability benefits - how do they affect tax credits payments

If you have a child with a disability you may also be entitiled to extra tax credits....

Children with disabilities - can you get extra Child Tax Credit?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:52:27 PM by agapanthus » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome