September 19, 2018, 03:40:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ibs/fatigue flair up before leaving the house?  (Read 3609 times)
Lordbark

« on: September 23, 2011, 01:27:50 AM »

Hi Everyone

Ok you would think the journey to get your haircut would be easy wouldn't you?  So Iím wondering if you can relate to this?

Except for me this week I had the trip to go into town and get my hair cut I even had some extra cash to take a taxi as I wasn't feeling up to taking the bus as the night before I had been up all night with really severe headaches.

So the day I decide to go in and get the hair cut comes along and I end up oversleeping and then taking a shower only to then to pick up my wallet and keys as well as my phone to go downstairs and then the IBS kept hitting me. I get downstairs and have a shave only for the IBS to flair again so back upstairs I go to sort it out.

I managed to get my hair cut in the end and it helped having some spare taxi fares and enough cash to go to a place that does good haircuts and I saw one of the people who remembered me which was nice as she made me feel welcome and was really kind and understanding since I still felt rough.

So after I left the hairdressers and did a few things in town as I had to be careful as I still felt very rough and very tired and kept having to sit down and rest or just keep stopping walking and rest and in the end When I finished in town I just took a cab home again.

I'm just curious really does anyone else get the same sort of issues with IBS and fatigue when getting ready to leave the house?

Iím just wondering what you think too.

Best wishes

Lordbark  smile
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:16:36 AM »

Maybe a mild case of agoraphobia, Lordbark?

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Lordbark

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:22:21 PM »

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply on the thread as I was a bit annoyed with the Ibs when I posted so it really helped me when I saw your reply. I'm not really sure what causes the flair up's before I leave the house as it's not like I wanted to stay in I just get annoyed with the flair ups as it seems to take a long time to get things settled down before I can leave the house and I can understand it happening if I was on a tight schedule or had a bus or train to catch but it was just supposed to be an hour out with the haircut and then some time in town and I didn't even have to wait for the bus since I was able to just take a cab both ways as I already felt rough and didn't want to risk trouble with my balance as that always gets worse when I'm tired at any point.

It's odd as the same thing happened when I was at college and it got to the stage I had to get the 7-30am bus from our house just to get to town to catch the connecting bus or train to class and be able to make stops in the toilets as needed on route. I find it strange too as I do get the odd day when I can get ready and go out without any ibs issues then other times it's a nightmare since the irritable bladder issues don't help either and that's why I'm glad I have my radar key for emergencies.

It's like last winter I went on a short trip out and went over into Wales and ended up sweating with the IBS all the way back home on the bus to my home city and in the end I had to go into our local tourist information centre as soon as I got off the bus and sort things out again since they have unisex toilets there with the hand bars and rails as at that point I felt a bit weird and thought it would be safer to have the bars there for balance.

I just find it annoying as dealing with this doesn't help with the fatigue and that just makes me feel worse all week need more sleep the rest of the week after going out even on local trips.    

Thanks for taking the time to reply I really do appreciate you taking the time as I do feel bad Iíve not been on here as often as I would like and I need to try and catch up on posts more often when I get a rare good moment.

I do hope you have a good weekend Roger and I hope everyone else here does too.

Best wishes

Lordbark  smile
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:28:36 PM by Lordbark » Logged
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:31:03 AM »

Hi Lordbark,

I do think that a mild case of agoraphobia might be the answer - not the full blown panicky type, but a lesser version. Might it be worth having a word with your GP to see what he/she thinks?

Kooky
Lifetime Member

Living in interesting times...

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 06:40:20 AM »

I'm not really sure what causes the flair up's before I leave the house as it's not like I wanted to stay in

I can really relate to this.  I have had some underlying anxiety problems and they manifested to keep me in the house, but consciously I was up, at 'em and ready for anything.

I don't remember now exactly how it resolved itself, though I do recall over time I could go further before the symptoms set in. 

Anyways, just to say I know where you're coming from.  hug

Kooky
Lordbark

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry I've not been here for so long as health has been a bit weird and had trouble with my internet connection so now that I'm back online again I can try and catch up on posts that I missed. I'm really grateful to you all for your posts and maybe the anxiety thing is actually a cause as I have had to decide to cancel the second stage of the CFS appointment as I wasn't able to make the journey to Liverpool to attend it as I would have been on the ambulance transport for nearly an hour with no chance of a toilet break as that would have delayed the other patients on the vehicle and made them late for their own appointments.

So maybe it is Anxiety as ok I get that if I'm on public transport in case my IBS or bladder flairs up but at least with that I'm in control of my journey and can get off the bus or train and go and find a toilet somewhere.

Waiting also for a local appoiintment at the hospital here as they need me to go in for an abdonimal ultrasound scan but I can cope with the journey there as it's only two short bus rides away or I will probably just take a taxi to get there like I did last time.

It's just weird as all that doesn't help with the fatigue and tiredness and as we all know that is really irritating and draining at times.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Best wishes

Lordbark  smile   
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »

I hope the appt goes well, LB  fingerscrossed

If you feel anxiety is an issue, there are things you can do.

carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »

I get bad IBS attacks when I have appointments, dentist, pain clinic, doctors, and it is anxiety related, sometimes they are worse than others but do cause problems and many canceled appointments, often though if i bite the bullet go to the bathroom then just leave I am fine it settles without a problem, it is just being brave enough to risk going out.
Lordbark

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:10:08 AM »

Hi Guys,

Thank you both for your kind posts. I'm sorry i didn't get a chance to reply till now but as I can't sleep I've been doing a bit of hunting around online for christmas shopping idea's so while I've got a chance I wanted to reply to you guys too as I do appreciate your help and support and I'm sorry I've not been onine here as often as I would have liked to be.

I'm thinking the ultrasound scan appointment will be ok as that one is local and I will go to that one as things do need checking out a bit since last time I was at the hospital the doctor there said she wanted me to have a scan on my stomach but I'm not worried as I think it's just routine.

I've got another appointment tommorrow at the podiatry clinic for my next routine appointment and hopefully they won't say my toe needs work on it and that they will allow me to keep having appointments with them as they told me last time there is a review of patients going on so they can make sure they help the most in need.

I've not managed to cut my own nails on my toes for ages as last time I tried the angle was wrong due to my eyesight and shaking hands and feet and I ended up with an ingrowing toenail that got infected so I don't want that again since I was stuck on antibiotics and with the costs of prescriptions and fares to clinic to get the toe checked clocked up neary £100.  shocked

Ok the fares part was due to the fact it was snowing at the time and I couldn't walk to the bus stop in the snow wearing sandles as that could have put pressure on the healing toe so it needed a taxi both ways.

The appointment tommorrow is ok to get to as I can now get the bus again with my pass and after I'm finished I will be catching a cab home as I'm going to be tired after that. Plus with tommorrow's trip being local my IBS issues might behave long enough for me while I'm out.

I hope you guys are both ok and having a good day.

Best wishes

Lordbark smile
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »

Hi there 

Just catching up on  posts as I haven't been too good myself. 

I have crohns which I have had long before they diagnosed the ME but I think now the ME is making my crohns worse also it cfould be the medication I am now taking for my ME and pain.   I had my six monthly crohns review last week and they are going to to a colonoscopy to see whats happening as I haven't had one for a while.

Any - is this relevant you might say.

Crohns and IBS are similar in the way they react to stress/anixiety.  I have learnt that even though you may not think you are anxious the very fact that you are on a "time limit" causes stress/anxiety.  So although its a nice thing to do - whatever task you are undertaking - if its an appointment which has a fixed time then you are actually subconsciously under pressure.

Pardon me for saying this but i do believe in straight talking - your posts seem to give off an air of anxiety, your mind seems tobe going around and around.  IBS/crohns flourish under anxious/stressful conditions and I have done a lot of work on ways to keep calm/stress free.  I am not saying it works all the time, infact at t the moment I am having more bad times than good but thats because there is a lot going on at home at the moment.

I dont know your situation but Things to try - nice music and close your eyes, don't make your list of jobs to do too long but do make lists to get things out of your head to stop it buzzin then take a couple of things a day, don't do things that you don't have to.

For example - I bought a flower wrist corsage for a wedding the other week and it only lasted about an hour before it fell off. Normally I would have gone back to the florist and point it out but I decided it wasn't worth the energy I would use so I didn't.

Eliz x
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »

A great and valid post, E.  iagree

Sorry you've been struggling recently.

Lordbark

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »

Hi Eliz,

Thank you so much for your post and I have to say you have hit the nail on the head there when you mention that even if you think you are not anxious the fact that you are on a time limit still causes stress/anxiety. To be honest that's why the IBS flairs must be worse when I know I've got a train or bus to catch and can't afford to be late or something as that always seems to happen if say I have to be at an appointment at hospital or somewhere else.

It makes a lot of sense that if you are not aware of being under pressure then you will be subconsciously even if you are not aware of it. I will admit that I do get anxiety a lot in some situations wheras othertimes I can be a bit more relaxed.

I'm sorry you have not been feeling too well yourself and I hope you are feeling ok today as I do appreciate you taking the time to post even when you are feeling ill yourself. I'm sorry about the Chrohns too I hope the colonoscopy goes ok and everything turns out ok for you.

It's a good plan to just try and do a few things each day and not to feel you have too much to do. I did get a relaxation cd from the hospital I'm under in Liverpool but I've not used it for a while but perhaps I should make the effort to use it again and see if it helps.

Probably my biggest problem is the fact I seem to be needing more rest and when I do that I'm not doing other things that need doing and I need to get myself to relax more and that in turn should help calm the IBS and bladder down a bit.

As for saving energy that is something I need to practice at for example if I'm looking for something that I need it's probably better to buy it online rather than use up more energy going into town to look for it since online the postman does the work by bringing it to the house and saves me waiting around for buses or getting through crowds etc.

Thank you again for your help and post I really do find them helpful and I'm hoping I can try and get myself to be less anxious as I go along.

Have a great day.

Best wishes

Lordbark  smile

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:15:15 PM by Lordbark » Logged
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 09:11:28 PM »

Glad to be of help. Sometimes it's good for someone outside a situation to look in as they see things differently.

Another thing to try is write z lust of things that may be causing you stress or taking your energy and at the side of them write what you can do about it/them.

For example : if it's a task you think you need to do - do you really need to do it, can you get someone else to do it or does it need doing at all. I sometimes find I can get rid of 2 or 3 things off the list just by reviewing and finding things aren't so important after all.

Eliz x
Lordbark

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »

Hi Eliz,

Thank you so much for your reply. I think the z list is a good idea. I think at the moment I need to try and not let myself get wound up or too stressed as that flairs the IBS and bladder off even worse. I think I can exclude at least one task by using the list idea so that's helped a little bit to reduce some stress levels.

Plus another bit of stress has been sorted out since I've got an appointment for a scan on Monday morning but at least I've got the cab fare there and back now so no worry of trying to get the bus to the hospital in time.

Thank you again for your help and support I hope you are having a really good day.

Best wishes

Lordbark  smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome