March 23, 2019, 03:31:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Naughty Thoughts Involving Brad Pitt  (Read 8534 times)
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« on: October 16, 2011, 07:21:16 AM »

In common with some other ancient religions, for many hundreds of years, Taoism has maintained that we have two brains – one in the skull and one in the stomach - each independent of the other and each containing separate and independent ‘compartments’. Until quite recently, modern science has consistently dismissed this belief.

However, in January 1996, it was reported in the medical section of the NY Times, that western scientists had discovered a network of neurons, neurotransmitters and proteins acting as a single entity of complex circuitry that transmits messages between neurons enabling it to learn, remember and affect emotions. This entity was found in the tissue of the oesophagus, stomach, small intestine and colon. It’s official, it’s called the Enteric Nervous System, and it operates independently of the ‘head brain’. For clarity, perhaps it should have been called the ‘Gut Brain’.

Back to Taoism – so it looks like they were right all along! They believe that the gut or belly brain controls emotions as well as digestion, and that when neurotransmitters go awry, both emotions and digestions are adversely affected, leading to all manner of physical issues. For this reason, they suggest a simple process that, given practice and time, can help bring the neurotransmitters back into ‘balance’, thus easing gut problems, emotional problems and ‘all manner of physical issues’. Bearing in mind that many CFSers have gut and emotional problems, and that every CFSer suffers from ‘all manner of physical issues’, perhaps using this practice might be helpful. It is very simple, as follows –

First, lie on your back on any flat surface, bend your knees and keep your feet flat on the surface.

Next, sense how the surface supports your weight...feel yourself sinking into the surface, even if the surface is unyielding.

Next, place your WARM hands on your belly in the area of the navel. Breathe into your hands, so that your belly gently rises and falls. After the exhale, don’t immediately inhale – wait for the next inhale to come naturally – no effort required. Do this for a couple of minutes.

Next, let your attention move from your belly to your hands, then to your arms, then all the way back to your spine, then allow the warmth/energy in the hands to expand into the whole abdomen, whilst observing the gentle in/out flow of your breathing.

Next, ‘listen to’ your belly – sense it. Is it tight? Is it relaxed? Is it anxious? Don’t try to alter anything – no pressure – just listen and sense as your belly gently rises and falls. You should soon feel calm. When that happens continue the practice for as long or as short a period as you’re comfortable with.

If nothing else, the expansion and contraction of the diaphragm will give many of your internal organs a good and much needed massage.

I can’t say whether this will help you or not, but I can say it definitely won’t if you just try it a couple of times then forget about it – damaged systems take time and perseverance to heal. But I reckon it’s worth a try. If Taoism was many hundreds of years ahead of western science in discovering this second ‘brain’, maybe their answer to caring for it is too. What’s to lose?

One last thing – Taoism also believes that the belly brain is all knowing and is where intuition comes from. So next time you get a ‘gut feeling’, don’t mess about, go with it!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:24:08 AM by roger » Logged

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Lucinda
Lifetime Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:15:41 AM »

Naughty Roger. You got me attracted over to this post by the title, and then started talking about Taoist tummy practices!

I do indeed respect Taoism, esp since much of acupuncture and tai chi/qi gong is influenced by it. However naughty thoughts involving Brad Pitt has a much more immediate attraction to me!
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »

However naughty thoughts involving Brad Pitt has a much more immediate attraction to me! - which is exactly why I used it, Luc  Smiley

carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »

This sounds fascinating roger, I have always known with me emotions effect my digestive system, I have missed many dental appointments as I have been held captive in the bathroom and feel sick if i get upset but had no idea there was any kind of nervous system in the guts, so one may well upset the other and vice versa
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »

Maybe worth trying the exercise then carrie, eh?

always_dizzy

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »

But can we think of Brad Pitt while we do it?   hee20hee20hee

Will definitely give it a go and let you know how it goes.....

"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after ME."
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »

hee20hee20hee No, ad, you may NOT think of Brad Pitt while you do it, assuming you're talking about the practice outlined above  wiggle finger  Smiley

oldshoremore
Lifetime Member

recovering from CFS

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »

Roger,

That technique sounds bit like the Ki Therapy I was getting, where the therapist was working to balance my 'chi'.  I had 3 sessions and would have had more but the travelling to Edinburgh for the treatment was knackering me!

I will def try your technique.

I read somewhere that there are more serotonin receptors in the gut than in the brain. So those of us taking SSRI anti-depressants are influncing our guts more than our brains!

Oldiex

"True life is lived when tiny changes occur." Leo Tolstoy.

Do what you need to do to take care of yourself.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 06:17:25 AM »

Go for it, oldie - who knows, with practice and time, you might be able to reduce (or even eliminate) the SSRIs, and that would be good!

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 06:38:03 AM »

Yes, this is very interesting and I wonder why it's not more well known (the research I mean).

Going with the gut instinct aspect, when we are hurting it is natural for us to touch and stroke the area of pain, (and I know that there has been research on this aspect too which shows why we do this, and how it helps us, but I can't remember the details for now). Anyway, when I have a tummy ache I tend to put my hands on the area of pain anyway, much as you describe, and sense a feeling of healing by doing so.

I think there is a lot of wisdom in the body and actually if we are listening then we do the thing that is best for it. Unfortunately in our technical 24 hr Western culture we have lost a lot of that wisdom, and so we race round like mad things and wonder why we get sick.

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 06:51:16 AM »

iagree

oldshoremore
Lifetime Member

recovering from CFS

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »

Go for it, oldie - who knows, with practice and time, you might be able to reduce (or even eliminate) the SSRIs, and that would be good!

Working on dropping the SSRI's Roger.
They are absolute censored

I was first given them in 1995.
Several times I have cut down very slowly and eventually stopped.
Each time I have become very unwell, physically and mentally -even when cutting from a miniscule dose to zero- and the doc has had nothing to offer but going back on them.

I'm cutting down again and building up other health giving strategies.
(none of which involve Brad Pitt lol)

Oldiex

"True life is lived when tiny changes occur." Leo Tolstoy.

Do what you need to do to take care of yourself.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »

You have my sympathy, oldie - I know it can be incredibly difficult for folk to discontinue SSRIs, and it's not their fault. If you CAN get off them, great, but if not, it's not a failure on your part, it's a failure of modern medicine. But, hey, if you can just reduce the dose, that's a real achievement. Good luck  fingerscrossed

And you have my permission to involve Brad Pitt if it helps  Smiley

sleepyhead
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »

Oh Roger, that was REALLY naughty of you 021

There was me with delicious images of Brad Pitt and wondering if we'd have to censor this topic! 38

I'm all disappointed now  Wink

Slainte Mhath
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »

My mum has just sent me a wheat lavender bag to put on my sore tum - do you think it will have the same effect as Brad Pitt on it?  Wink

sleepyhead
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »

My mum has just sent me a wheat lavender bag to put on my sore tum - do you think it will have the same effect as Brad Pitt on it?  Wink

we can only hope - let me know if it does though because then I can make myself one  Wink

Slainte Mhath
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:28 PM »

Sorry, Sleeps, and sorry, Aggie - not a chance  Huh?

soozieq

M.E/CFS/FIBRO

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »

hee20hee20hee That cheered me up,bit of a giggle works wonders!
Sooz xx

One day at a time....all I can manage
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 05:58:28 AM »

If it did that, sooz, I'm glad it happened  Smiley

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 07:43:43 AM »

There you go Roger - Brad Pitt therapy, works every time!

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 07:49:02 AM »

It doesn't work for me  Huh? Thank goodness  Smiley

MissyRS

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »

Roger!!!!!!  I only just spotted this thread and thought 'eye-eye what's going on here' - then I looked at who started the thread - and saw your name... and then I thought... 'wonder what Mrs Roger has to say about this?! - She must be a marvellous lady!' lol

But you just suckered us all in!!!!  smile  naughty boy!!!!

I am constantly amazed by our bodies... I wish I had a more scientific brain... it's Totally Completely Awesome to me!!!!

Be good - ok don't know why I wrote that.... barely possible surly!!!

Ciao 051bye

'Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards'.  Soren Kierkegaard
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »

Smiley

You've got a great brain, Missy - and based on a recent post of yours elsewhere, a thoroughly caring one, too. The two together aren't common, but they are very worthwhile.

And don't worry too much about 'science' - an awful lot of it is WRONG, still locked in to Newton and ignoring Einstein.

MissyRS

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »

Thanks Roger - wait till I tell my GCSE group tomorrow that I've been told I have a 'great brain' - they all think I'm bonkers!!! (To be fair - there may be a wee spot of truth in that!!! rolleyes) - I imagine I'll get a laugh or two!!!  Smiley

Ciao..  051bye

'Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards'.  Soren Kierkegaard
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »

Well for what it's worth, Missy, I'm bonkers too. So I could be wrong  Smiley

Don't think so though.  Kiss

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip