November 13, 2018, 10:54:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help for IBS - the low Fodmap diet  (Read 5934 times)
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« on: January 06, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »

I have had IBS most of my life - that's around 40 years of IBS I reckon.

The IBS is horrible and I know that it's very common in ME/CFS as well as non ME/CFS. I did the Stoneage Diet to start with and it completely took away my gut problems at the start. Although some of the issues have crept back, I have just been looking on Channel 4's version of iplayer at the last of The Food Hospital, where they feature someone with IBS.

Anyway, when I looked at the diet I reckon that I hit upon the problem without realising it when I did the Stoneage Diet. They recommend the Fodmap diet and explain on the programme what kinds of foods to avoid. I must be lucky as some of the foods they show don't seem to affect me too much, but I have cut out so much from my diet re refined sugar that maybe I can tolerate a bit more now in natural fruit.

There's a good site here that explains it all and what foods to avoid. It's quite hard to follow, but if you have bad IBS you would do anything to escape it, and it's definitely worth trying and has a good success rate.

http://ibsdietplan.org/the-low-fodmap-diet/
A low-FODMAP diet aims to reduce overall FODMAP intake. FODMAPs are:

Fermentable
    Oligosaccharides (eg. Fructans and Galactans)
    Disaccharides (eg. Lactose), Monosaccharides (eg. excess Fructose) and
    Polyols (eg. Sorbitol, Mannitol, Maltitol, Xylitol and Isomalt)

Incidentally I recently had a bad spell as a result of taking probiotics which had the
Fructooligosaccharides in them, so if you take probiotics and they make you very uncomfortable, this will be the reason.

Unfortunately some of us also have other problems going on in the stomach with acid issues on top (I have to keep an eye on this one), so it's all a bit complicated, but it's useful to have some understanding of this other issue as above.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:00:41 AM by agapanthus » Logged

surfnut

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »

Aggie, I think I must have tempted fate when I said to you the other day, I `used` to have IBS and my gut was fine now. I`ve been doubled up for the last 48hrs with crippling stomach pains. I`d forgotten how painful and unpleasant it is   undecided Serves me right I guess..

Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »

Oh, horrible Surf - I am so sorry! Can you work out what might have triggered it?

surfnut

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »

Bless you Aggie. Poetic justice I call it!  clap No, the strange thing is I`ve absolkutely no idea what`s caused it. I`ve not done anything different or eaten or drunk anything different.  undecided

It`s funny, I can remember going away with friends to Lulworth camping 20 yrs ago and they had a great night, and I spent hours lieing in the road with a crippling attack, in flippin agony!  smile

Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience
surfnut

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »

Did it give you backpain too?

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »

Yes, I have on odd occasions had back pain with it but only when I had what I would call a colic attack which isn't quite the same as IBS. I used to get on rare occasions if I vomited (mercifully I haven't done that for years!). I always reckon colic pain is unbelievably awful.

Cather1ne
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »

I remember you mentioning fructo-oligo-saccharides the other day Aggi, you knocked the nail on the head!
40 years of IBS, crikey  Undecided. You guys are made of strong stuff  thumbsup

Poor Surf, I didn't think you were yourself the last couple of days, just a hunch. I know it won't help much but many  hug
surfnut

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »

Thanks both of you. Catherine, we`re gonna have to chat more about your psychic abilities ...

Cather1ne
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM »

Hey Surf, how you doing??
I think maybe your emotional week could have triggered your IBS? I have two people in my life with it and they both get bad attacks after emotional shock. And both of them say they've no idea what triggered it or what they'd eaten. It takes someone on the outside to see what the emotional whammy did to them. Perhaps that's what's happening to you??  hug

Ha, I'm certainly not psychic. I can tell how you may be feeling currently, and how you were yesterday (you were properly seething and could have picked a fight with your own shadow??!! But deep down you really wanted a very literal hand to hold and a soothing embrace?). Sometimes inklings of what's causing it, perhaps things that may help in the present moment but I can't tell you the future! That's why it works so well with animals, they are always in the present, their requests and needs are about them in the current moment. Owners struggle with this when they organise the request for three weeks later and it has no benefit. The animal had moved on by then, they can be very literal when it comes to health and emotional wellness. Though they can be wickedly humorous too!!

I can always channel energy for you? Distance healing can be really nice.
If you seriously want a chat, pm or email me. If you were pulling my leg then you're in for yet another beating  smile hee20hee20hee

surfnut

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »

Hi Catherine. That`s a really good suggestion  clap It would never have occurred to me. I was thinking maybe booze?  Smiley

I think you ARE psychic, or lets call it `a sensitive`. I think there are different types. Funny really, cos I thought I was sensitive enough, but I`m not THAT attuned! Wink
You`re wrong about yresterday though. I wasnt seething, I`ve just been quite `out of sorts` for a few days,  embarrased and I can think of several possible reasons for that. Sorry if you feel I`ve been taking it out on others.  Embarrassed
It`s a real gift though, that kind of empathy, especially with animals.  smile I watched a brilliant program about a woman in America who can `link in` and communicate with animals, and it showed her convincing sceptic after sceptic, one of the most amazing programs I`ve ever seen, and for people who are sceptical, they should reserve judgement till they`ve watched it through. I`ll see if my mother can remember what it was called. One of those programs that changes you  smile

I`ve not replied to your Religion post yet, because I`m wary of how strongly we all feel about the sets of beliefs we`ve decided on along the way, and didnt really want to risk upsetting you or others, with my views. Ours though are actually quite alike. I regularly go up for spiritual healing, so if you`ve that gift also, that`s tremendous, and yes please clap but only if you feel well enough to do it and it doesn`t reduce your core energy.

It`d be great to chat sometime, but let`s leave it for a few days, till I (or maybe you) feel my moods shifted! clap
Hope you`ve been having a great day  hug

Cather1ne
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »

Oh Surf, you love. I didn't for one minute feel you'd been taking things out on others, no not at all. I just felt you weren't a happy bunny.

See, not psychic or I wouldn't get things wrong  wink. Come to think of it the seething thing was the day before yesterday. I'd been concerned since saturday a.m.

I had a reading done for my horse years ago. One of the things that came up was someone had taken a fall from him and he thinks they really hurt themselves and he felt it was his fault. He was only young at the time and it was me who'd had the fall. Ruptured a disc, surgery the following spring. I cried when I heard that bit and went straight to see him and let him know he mustn't blame himself, it was my own silly fault for not paying attention and considering his abilities. Animals rock!!

Got to nip out now (ha ha, like I nip anywhere!!). Will catch you later  Wink

P.S. Go ahead and reply to the religion post, I think folk here would do their best not upset others intentionally and we all have different views. I like to hear others beliefs, it's how we grow? And if I find it offensive I'll say so, lol! x
surfnut

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »

HI Catherine, yeah, It`s one of the limitations of text and (even)smilicons. You cant hear `how` the persons saying something or see their face. We just have to guess!  Smiley I Cant bear it if I think I`ve upset anyone. Always been like that..

Anyway, I`ve found that video. It`s called `I Talk to Animals: A Portrait of Samantha Khury`Try googling her. She really is an amazing woman  clap She`s quite famous in the states. Havent so far been asble to track down a dvd or download I can make  yet, but I`ve found a 10min vid showing part of her programme. It`s here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7BR6HhzFgM

Let me know what you think  Smiley

Cather1ne
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »

Ahhh, yes yes, I've come across the lovely Samantha before. Great woman doing some awesome work.

The piece with the mare who needed to be outside, at about 4 mins to 4:15, I've been got like that before, it truly makes your throat burn with their sadness and their try. Trying to stifle the tears when they're not even yours! The horses can actually be quite matter of fact but it's how the communicator interprets that and what emotions it brings up in us. Great book 'What Horses Say' there's a ned in there who likes Gin & Tonic and the owners had to fess up they'd let him have one in his bucket once, lol!!

Got a really poignant tale about a friends horse, she'd had him from a foal and at age 16 she needed to part with some of her herd and make room in her life, he got me choked bigtime . . .

Thanks for the link, that was really thoughful x
surfnut

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »

You`re welcome, and WOW, if you can do anyhting like she does, I`m REALLY impressed.. Smiley clap

Cather1ne
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:06:22 PM »

hee20hee20hee Thanks Surf, that's really nice.

Most folk think it's just funny, weird or a good party trick.

I have refused a couple of requests (sadly for the horse) because the owners don't take it seriously and that can be soul destroying for the horse, to know they have help at their finger (hoof) tips and that some one is relaying info on the equines behalf and it is being met with either frivolity, disbelief or ridicule. or a combination of them all!! Most horses would rather have no human in their life than a human like that. Which was of course, the exact info I relayed to said people when they wanted a reason why I refused  Smiley

It's all about the horses, if the humans are offended then tough. My horse had a fair few harsh things to say to me and you just gotta deal and move on together. They can tear you apart, they just say it as it is and like humans, some are more gentle and some can be quite aloof.
surfnut

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »

It`s funny, I almost feel like fate is `pushing` me towards horses  smile So many of my ex-partners were mad about horses, and here they are coming up again, I feel I`m meant to have more interaction with them somehow. I`m an animal lover, and have had most types as pets (not that you`d keep a horse as a pet) but I`ve had precious little intereaction with horses, and to be honest I`ve been more than a little wary, as at least 2 of my exes had had their legs broken by them.To show willing, I went horse riding with one of them, and I was useless. I was like the milky bar kid. Too soft. The horse knew he was in charge!  clap She was really suprised when I went off at acanter and enjoyed it though. (Note to self. Hold on next time! ) It`s strange how horses keep re-curring in my life though. Maybe I should try horse riding locally as therapy?

Cather1ne
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »

whoo SO MANY of your ex-partners??!! How many you had boy?!!!!  86 whoo

It's not all about the riding, take a look at this guy . . . I think you'll really like it. He's my hero!!
It was this video (read the words, again and again) that took me to the next level with my miniature shetland stallion. Awesome . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhNXt_c2nXw&list=UUttSYK-zCC0gCQfOapv9J1Q&index=24&feature=plcp

Love the music to this, Laura Shay. This is Janosch I think, the horse that showed Klaus what he had with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVciE_KBLYg&list=UUttSYK-zCC0gCQfOapv9J1Q&index=25&feature=plcp

Every horse deserves his or her owner to try to understand and emulate this man.
surfnut

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »

I may have had, ahem, a few....  wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome