December 16, 2017, 07:18:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: struggling at work  (Read 9223 times)
Jem

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« on: February 06, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »

Hi all
just needing a bit of advice Smiley
I've had ME/CFS for nearly 3 years now and I've managed to control it rather well...until recently!!

I am stupidly trying to do a PhD part time as well as my job and the ME doesn't like it much! I am 2 years part time into my PhD. I am all of a sudden unable to remember things and can't concentrate on any of the work I need to do. Some days (like today) I'm not even sure what my PhD is all about!!!!

So I'm just sat at my desk getting tearful and feeling very sorry for myself which isn't helping!

I decided to do a PhD to try and prove that this illness won't get the better of me....but at the minute it seems to be winning  cry

any advice (other than give up)!! on how I can help improve my concentration and get back into the swing of things Smiley

Jem xxx xxx
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »

You're going to hate me for this, jem, but you're describing the classic situation of a CFSer trying to do too much. The battle to prove CFS/ME 'won't get the better of you' just doesn't work. In a fight, it will always win. But by accepting that, and using the many strategies on the forum to improve your situation, you CAN improve substantially.

Sorry -  hug

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
countrylass
Lifetime Member

I have CFS and Fibromyalgia

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »

Hi. I totally agree with roger on this one. I fought for 12 years and just got worse and worse. Now I am working with my body and have seen some improvement.

It totally goes against the grain to stop pushing your body but I'm afraid you just have to, otherwise you won't get on the road to better health.

Can you put your phd on hold or ask for an extension? If the university knows you are a disabled student, and cfs does class as a disability, then they should help you work things out. Resting now will mean you can carry on later.

CL xx

A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
always_dizzy

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »

Hi Jem,

It sounds like maybe you have taken on too much,which has made your ME worse. Is there any support available from your University to help you with your studies? There should be resources available to help students who have mental or physical difficulties.

I know this won't be what you want to hear, but do you think it might be worth taking some time away from your studies to focus on your health? Speaking from experience, reducing my hours at work has helped me - maybe not financially but I'm feeling better in myself.

In terms of concentration, all I would advise is to take regular breaks from your studying, eat regularly and make sure you take time out to relax and wind down each day.

Whatever you decide, the most important thing is your health. Maybe consider how much longer you can carry on the way you are with work and studying. If you don't feel you can last the distance, then something has to give - don't compromise your health in a bid to 'take on' this illness.

Laura x

"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after ME."
surfnut

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »

Hi Gem. Agree with all of the above I`m afraid huh

Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience
MissyRS

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »

iagree

I know it's not what you want to hear... but may be even part time with out breaks is too much... can you suggest to them that you do it part time... but over a longer period... so maybe have a year (or more) off.. then when you've got time and inclination pick it up again??? 

The relief to finish a course and know that you don't have to do anymore reading or research is just so delightful.. that I'm thinking you may be missing out on the joy of stopping!!!     But I too want to get back into studying... so fully understand your thinking!!!!! 

Here's wishing wisdom and energy to you!!!
 smile

'Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards'.  Soren Kierkegaard
Jem

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »

thank you all so much for your responses - it's definitely something to think about!!

I have a meeting with my PhD supervisors today so will discuss with them what my options are, and I'm also going to see my Doctor on Thursday so see what she suggests (she is really supportive so fingers crossed she has some good advice!!)!!

Many thanks once again

Jem xxx
Mike94

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 09:08:38 PM »

Woah PhD and job?! CFS is annoying because the longer you stretch yourself, the worse things get. If I were you I'd pick one :/ your determination sounds legendary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome