September 19, 2018, 02:51:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is this IBS?  (Read 1628 times)
Chelseasmile
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to this only recently been diagnosed with CFS. sign0144
My doctor did diagnose me with IBS, my main symptoms being constipation, feeling like I always need to empty my bowels but can't, bad bloating and very bad abdominal pain a few months back. I was then prescribed Colpermin Peppermint Oil Capsules which I took every day for a few months yet I didn't feel they did much.
Now it seems like my 'IBS' has got progressively worse, I have a much bigger appetite, as well all the same symptoms as before. I find that I am constantly bloated and gets worse when eating or drinking - and for me, I've had a flat stomach all my life - it's horribly uncomfortable and embarassing. The bloating barely ever subsides, some morning I wake up with a flat stomach, but this is very rare and goes as soon as I eat or drink ANYTHING. Nothing seems to help - I've tried cutting out various foods as well as many other things. I also find that my whole abdomen is very hard, and tender to touch. Occassionally it even hurts to even stretch or move. I'm supposed to be having an ultrasound in a few weeks but I'm dreading it will reveal worse than IBS.
Some of these symptoms began to led me to think I was pregnant and made me worry a hell of a lot... But I've had many negative tests and there was literally no chance to start with.

Are any of there symptoms normal or IBS? And  does anyone have any tips to relieve, particularly the bloating?
Thank you in advance.
 sign0085
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:20:17 AM »

Hi there Chelseasmile,
Sorry your post got missed - hope you see this reply.

IBS like symptoms are certainly a problem that many of us get with ME/CFS, but it's also important for any unusual symptoms to be followed up by a GP and not put everything automatically down to ME/CFS. I am glad to hear that your GP is going to look into your symptoms with an ultrasound to be on the safe side. I hope that it doesn't turn out to be something else, though IBS itself is bad enough to cope with.

If it does turn out still to be CFS then in my opinion mainstream medicine is very poor at sorting it out. I have had IBS issues now for over 40 years, and my best help has been from the internet! I have improved things for myself with dietary changes, but you say that you have already tried that approach. Gluten is the most common culprit and it can be really hard doing an exclusion of that and other things, but that is what I have done. I assume you have tried that? Also eliminating sugar and processed foods as much as possible.

Trying probiotics and using digestive enzymes is another approach that GPs don't tend to suggest.

It's worth reading Dr Myhill's online CFS book and the sections on the digestive issues as I have found them helpful.....
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Category:Bowel_Problems
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Stone_Age_Diet_-_this_is_a_diet_which_we_all_should_follow

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:14:05 AM »

Hi Chelseasmile,

Some good info from Agapanthus there, and as she says, Gluten is a common culprit, as is dairy. Have you tried avoiding both for a month? If not, it really is worth trying.

In answer to your question, yes, those symptoms do sound like IBS, but IBS is just a name given to bowel symptoms with no known cause, so itís not very helpful.

Assuming the ultrasound test shows nothing, thereís some good info here www.lepicol.com and I know several people have been helped by using Lepicol.

Good luck.

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Rainbow
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:33:07 PM »

It could be so many different types of bowel illness

To investigate bowel problems they always send you to hospital for a procedure of taking a laxative before going to the hospital where you have some sedation & a camera put up your bum so they can see your intestines.

The fact that your GP has sent you for a ultra scan makes me wonder if she suspects something other than bowel illness. Or did you say to your GP you think it could be a pregnancy & ruling that out first?. If the scan comes back clear your GP should send you for the bowel camera as there is no other way of seeing whats happening there.

I hope the GP can figure out what's happening quickly.

Rainbow  Kiss
Slow_Leopard
Code Monkey
Lifetime Member

Joint Hypermobility Syndrome

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »

I find extremely rich foods upset me, especially if I have them too often.  Things like sun-dried tomatoes which are really rich.

I try if I have a rich meal to make sure that it is only one rich meal in a 2-3 day span.  A week or so ago I went out for lunch with my mum, then dinner with my wife on the same day and I felt really bad for it the next day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome