September 19, 2018, 03:54:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Could this be IBS?  (Read 2881 times)
Mouldy

« on: September 03, 2013, 07:11:05 AM »

Good morning all and sorry for more questions .
I have suffered with this problem for years and always put it down to just one of those things, but now I'm wondering if it could be IBS.
Every now and again I get low abdominal pain which starts mild but gets quite intense then fades, but repeats every minute or so. It usually comes on after 9 pm and goes on for a couple of hours or so. In that  time I get bloated, wind and have to visit the loo about three times with diarrhoea . After that it usually settles enough for me to sleep and is gone in the morning.
Last night I had a bad one and felt really awful, which frightened me a bit and set off a bout of the shakes for around half an hour. I haven't had the shakes for months so feel a bit like I have taken a big step backwards.

My husband is convinced it's because we went out for a meal last evening ( first time in over a year and a half) and it was too much for me.  I don't think so because I have done too much before and not had that, but had it on the days when I have hardly done anything.
I think it is something I'm eating but don't know how far back to look. Would it be the evening meal, or lunch or even breakfast?
Any help or advice  would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:33:21 AM by Mouldy » Logged
Emra

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »

Hello,

Never worry about asking questions, it's what the forum is for!

Your symptoms could be IBS or could be a food intolerance or could be something like Coeliac disease (which I have). I would suggest keeping a food diary, write down everything you eat and drink and then make a note of if and when you get symptoms. I'd keep it for a good few weeks then see if you can see any relation between what you eat and when you get symptoms. Even if you can't I would take it to your GP and discuss it with them.

xxxx
Mouldy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:21:30 AM »

Hi Emra and thank you for replying. I have been tested negative for celiac but doctor thinks I could be wheat intolerant.  I have been trying to think what I might be eating that could be causing it but as you say I should keep a diary. I must get myself a bit better organised. I will start today.
Emra

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »

Pleased you have been tested for Coeliac and it came back negative, that's good. It took me a bit to get organised and start a diary too but it does make it much easier to see any correlation between what you're eating and symptoms because trying to remember is very hard particularly with a foggy brain! Half the time I can't remember what I ate an hour ago! Smiley

I hope you manage to find the cause and can get your symptoms under control!

xxxx
Mouldy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:12:36 AM »

Thanks Emra, I know I have got several notebooks...somewhere  smile one of those will do if I can find them. They will probably be somewhere totally unexpected, like the brush soap that turned up in a bag of crocheted blankets!
ian2008

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »

Try a lactose free diet, I did, and it solved all problems. Symptoms pretty much as you described. My digestive system slowed down too.

Regards
Mouldy

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »

Thanks Ian, I'll soon not be able to eat anything, being a veggie too  smile
ian2008

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »

I was veggie up until 2009, but when I got CFS I thought maybe I should try eating some fish which I have continued to do every so often. I drink lactose free milk and eat lactose free cheese. I seem to be able to eat natural yogurt. If someone puts ordinary milk in my tea/coffee I don't worry about as it seems that I can manage small amounts on ordinary milk without having really bad pain. I avoid ice-cream where possible and eat sorbet instead.

Give it a go.

Regards
Mouldy

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »

:
 c017 Ian I will. I don't have much milk only in tea and very occasionally on cereals, but I do eat cheese, ice cream and cream. I will have to keep a check on those ( ice cream and cream )because they are things I only have occasionally too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome