November 24, 2017, 06:24:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Severe Back and leg pain  (Read 2832 times)
Ashleigh1990

« on: October 08, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »

s_hi everyone I'm fairly new to the forum and I'm looking for advice and support I have ME/CFS and I've had this for about 4 years now, over the past few months though I have been in severe pain with my lower back and my legs it is like a nerve pain as it's there all the time,I also get stabbing pains just below my buttocks I've been to the doctors and had and MRI it was fine, I've been to physio, and I'm on strong medication. I'm just wondering of this could be due to having this illness and if there is anything that can help? I've tried heat, ice and exersise but still this pain continues. I've also noticed I have very tender points in my body and if I touch them not to hard the pain is unbearable cod this be fibro? Any answers or advice would be very helpful as I'm feeling very alone just now.

Thanks
Ash
Sisyphus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:50:40 PM »

Ok first of all you need to recognise pain is both physical and psychological, even if it's the result of something like cancer these two areas play a part.

So if you want to reduce pain you should try and tackle the psychological issue first. Meditation, specifically mindfulness meditation can help a great deal. Before you dismiss this as new age nonsense I would point out numerous studies should a reduction in activity of the pain matrix in the brain when mindfulness is used.

Now let's deal with other issues. Physically pain meds are obviously a good option, but be careful because addiction is common and actually long term use of medications such as opiates can increase pain, leading to larger doses and addiction. When it comes to leg pain I must say it's pretty common in CFS that legs hurt the most. I know that I have general pain in my body but my legs are always the worst. I find a nice hot shower, along with medication helps. If you have a bath then try epsom salts and a long soak as I've heard it helps a great deal.

I've found massage to be a massive benefit to help muscle pain. It hurts to begin with but if you can endure it then it gives some long term relief.

Good luck with it smile
Ashleigh1990

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »

Hi thanks for writing back I've tried everything from relaxing to got baths water bottles to ice packs, I have taken tramadol amytryptiline and co codimal today and still my legs ache as if I've been walking for miles. 38 I have no idea why I think another trip to the doctor is in order.

Thanks
Ash
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome