September 19, 2018, 03:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anyone's IBS so severe?  (Read 5305 times)
Shazzapots

« on: October 23, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »

Hey. I have suffered IBS for 14 years. In the past five years, I have sporadically severe attacks which occur out of the blue and I'm doubled in in pain for 1-2 hrs with spasm and crippling wind. Then my tummy is sore for a few days and I'm ok again. No diarrhoea or constipation, just horrid pain and soreness.
Does any one else get this??

I'm concerned my IBS has now gone out of control as had the most hurrendous attack 2 weeks ago where the pain was so horrific I had an ambulance out and had to have two lots of morphine and spend several hrs at the hospital...even then I was still in agony. I was sick, wretched for 24hrs and for 3 days was in agony just even trying to sit up. I'm still suffering the sore tummy

This is my second attack since my CFS started 5months ago. Has anyone else had their IBS problems increase since CFS/ME started (assuming you had it pre diagnosis!)??
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

I have had IBS issues most of my life and I am now 61! Mine definitely got worse when my ME/CFS symptoms worsened after a relapse 4 yrs ago.

I have dealt with it in what might seem a drastic way, but then I think needing morphine is drastic. Mostly like you I would have a very sore stomach, though I did also have issues at times with diarrhoea and constipation. I didn't have spasms but then maybe it's because I had already altered my diet.

The best thing I have done is go over to a Paleo or Stone Age diet. If you had asked me 10 yrs ago, I would have said, no way, and I don't pretend it's easy, but I would rather eat like this for the rest of my life than put up with the pain.

I now eat no grains, and therefore no gluten, no dairy (other than goat yogurt or kefir or butter), very little sugar, very little fruit, no yeast. Low carbs generally. I do eat good quality meat, fish, eggs, butter and goat yogurt and kefir, seeds, nuts, coconut butter and milk, any veg, and a little fruit. I also eat cacao which is the cocoa without the sugar. A few other things too....

I don't say that my stomach is perfect, but it's getting there. I also use digestive enzymes and use Betaine HCL but I also had acid reflux which you may not have.

Dr Myhill has some good stuff on it...http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Stone_Age_Diet_-_this_is_a_diet_which_we_all_should_follow

There are other food avoidance diets that some people think help too... eg The FODMAPS diet (you would need to google that one....)

Shazzapots

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »

Thanks for sharing.
Wow, that is quite a drastic diet change....but I understand that IBS pain would drive you to making drastic changes!
Sounds like it is working fairly well for you too.

I'm thinking of cutting out gluten....that alone seems hard enough! Trouble is I can't pin down trigger foods. One time I will eat a meal and be fine, the next time I eat it I will be ill. The only things I tend to avoid is cream, tuna and fish in general and alcohol.

Thanks for the links. I will check this out.
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »

mine definitely improved cutting our Gluten / wheat and reducing dairy
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »

I was diagnosed with crohns in 2003 (rushed in as sn emergency). It took me about 2 years to manage it properly but was doing fairly bok. Diagnosed with CFS in 2011 and since then myvdigestive system is all over the place.  And cant seem to get it sorted. Mskes me so ill most of the time.  Psin,  bloating,  gas,  severe diarrhoea.  So weary with it.  Trying to sort. Been looking st the benefits if aggies tyoe if diet and have been researching FODMAP  seems s bit drastic but if it helps I dont mind.

Eliz x
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome