August 18, 2017, 10:49:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Getting to sleep and staying asleep?  (Read 2556 times)
TillyBoots
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »

Hello all,    s_hi

First of all I want to say how happy I am to have found (what appears to be) a really supportive community. What a gem!.

I hope someone can help, any tips or tricks are welcome, open to anything : ) 

My other half suffers from M.E. and generally manages quite well but has had a turn for the worse, we think this is due to his increased inability to stay asleep recently, constantly tossing and turning, waking up, unable to get comfortable etc. I'm sure many here will appreciate that  this is exasperating already uncomfortable aspects of his condition but the increased exhaustion on top of everything else seems to be affecting personal motivation which is new for him and very worrying for the rest of us.

Any suggestions are really appreciated, thanks in advance guys! Take care.

neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:11:32 PM »

Id encourage a good going to bed routine - winding Down before bed, no tv. Comfy bed, keep the room aired. Are there any obvious worries or symptoms that the GP can help with ? I found regular relaxation times really helpful. It's probably obvious but no caffeine , booze or other stimulants. Sometimes I decamp to the spare bed so I  don't disturb my other half. We all have times like this but it does pass - it's the nature of the beast. It will get better.
gingerninja

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »

Hi Tillyboots! I can't remember a time when I didn't have trouble getting to sleep! When I mentioned this to my GP he prescribed me sleeping tablets which don't solve the problem and are addictive so I haven't taken them.

Another doctor prescribed an antihistamine with drowsiness as a side effect in the hope that the side effect would become the useful effect, if that makes sense! It doesn't make me drowsy unfortunately but it makes me more relaxed and I have been sleeping better. Maybe you could look into this possibility with your other half's GP? It doesn't sound like it would be a naturally occurring idea for a solution by GPs so you may have to specifically ask. Just an idea.  smile
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »

not much to add to other posters but I do use deep breathing twchniquez to rekax.  breathing in for 3 hold for 2  breath out for three. must be deep breathing not shallow. also  I try to picture something that makes me feel good at the same time like the beach. other thoughts will creep I  but push them away.

if I wake and find it diffucult to get back to sleep I do the breathing and have found that even if I don't sleep I feel quite refreshed.

sleep or relaxation is where the body repairs.

also I have relaxation music on my phone and I have headphones just by my bed so if I can't sleep I listen to music

eliz x
downnotout
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 12:12:36 AM »

bedtime2
Hi Tillyboots...............Okay.....After having constant sleepless nights I bought a memory foam mattress. Heaven! I have never looked back. Seriously, the legs/joint pain is gone, the tossing and turning is no more. Yes, some times I lay awake but its usually due to my mind going in over drive......not from my body trying to get comfy in bed. I got mine in the sale's at argos ...got 100.00 off...Money well spent. You could try a memory foam topper...they are alot cheaper. Herbal sleeping pills I find helpful. All Boots/Holland & Barrett will sell them. I take Pure Vervain for sleep......Or try Quiet Life traditional heral remedy. Hope this helps
Rache

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »

Crazy as it sounds I found a V pillow really helped me sleep better. As I've always tossed and turned but with that even if toss and turn head still supported. I also find pillows by my knees helpful to try and keep me still. Like the others deep breathing, relaxation and a routine are all really good ideas.
Wits_End
Care Giver

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »

Hi Tillyboots! I can't remember a time when I didn't have trouble getting to sleep! When I mentioned this to my GP he prescribed me sleeping tablets which don't solve the problem and are addictive so I haven't taken them.

Another doctor prescribed an antihistamine with drowsiness as a side effect in the hope that the side effect would become the useful effect, if that makes sense! It doesn't make me drowsy unfortunately but it makes me more relaxed and I have been sleeping better. Maybe you could look into this possibility with your other half's GP? It doesn't sound like it would be a naturally occurring idea for a solution by GPs so you may have to specifically ask. Just an idea.  smile

Just wanted to say thank you for this: my Caree's GP is looking into it, as we're trying to wean her off Zopiclone, which I gather isn't an easy task :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome