December 16, 2017, 07:17:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anyone had general aneasthetic  (Read 687 times)
Jfols

« on: February 15, 2014, 09:28:45 PM »

Has anyone had surgery under general anaesthetic? I was wondering how you coped? I don't have any scheduled it's more just worried about the future. I've seen the information about recommendations, but are adverse outcomes, e.g dying, more likely of you hve cfs?
Gilly

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »

Yes i had a hysterectomy 8weeks ago, i did have a arough time of it, keyhole surgery, but a fibroid was awkward to remove so i had the abdominal cut too.
The recovery took longer i was in hospital for 5 days i also had a bad reaction to ibrufen tablets, and they had trouble inserting the cannula's.   wether it was the operation itself or the M.E. I am now able too move about better,the exhaustion feeling is never far away.
feroluce

Broken Toy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »

They rarely use the old style general anesthetic anymore.
They prefer to use a strong analgesic (something in the same class as an epidural) and something to make you sleep (usually propofol).
The old style stays in your body fat and can leech out for a couple of days, that's why they used to keep you in for a week after surgery.
The new way means you can go home as soon as you are stable.

You only get the old style if there are complications (this doesn't have to be dramatic, just unexpected) during surgery.

I had complications in keyhole just like Gilly.

I was supposed to have my appendix out by keyhole but when they opened me the change in pressure caused it to pop.
I was in for just over a week and have an impressive slash scar in my abdomen.

I know all this because my operation was delayed while I was in pre-op.
There just happened to be an anesthesiologist in there with a class and I got very chatty because of the morphine Smiley

As for dying. The anesthetist has the final say.
Just like nobody can make a pilot fly an airliner if they think something is wrong, an anesthetist won't put you under (or keep you under) unless they're sure it's safe.
They have total veto and, if they're using the new method, can bring you round straight away.

I wouldn't read too much into 'death' being mentioned in the literature.
I used to work for a medical device company and had to update all the literature to include death as a possible effect.
It's purely for insurance.
Insurance companies (about twelve years ago) somehow got 'death' reclassified as a symptom rather than an effect, just so they could mention it in disclaimers. Crafty buggers.
Talen

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »

Hi Jfols,

Anaesthetics have come a long way in the last 20 years.  Induction (putting you to sleep) is usually propofol and it works very quickly.  The main anaesthetic vapour used these days is sevoflurane (keeps you asleep on the operating table).  Analgesia is usually administered by intravenous injection morphine or fentanyl during the operation.  Recovery from anaesthetic is usually quick and straightforward.  Some people do shiver for a while.  Nausea and vomiting is is nowhere as frequent as 20 years ago due to new anaesthetic agents and anti-nausea drugs.  I had a spinal and mild sedation for an abdominal operation and it was brilliant.  If I ever need a knee or hip replacing when I get older I would definitely request a spinal.

Talen)
HanwellAndy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »

:sign0144:I am new to this forum, and I don't have a serious problem with chronic fatigue. However, on a number of occasions I have been affected, generally for a few days or a week, and usually just after a viral infection. The worst 2 bouts i have had lasted for about 6 weeks, but most have been much shorter than that.
I recently had a minor operation on my nose, which involved having a general anaesthetic. Within a day of the operation I started getting the familiar symptoms - fatigue which doesn't go a away when I rest, is not helped by sleep, is not alleviated by paracetamol or ibuprofen. This has lasted for over 2 weeks now, and show no signs of improvement. I am of course very curious to know if the problem is a result of the surgery, or the anaesthetic drugs. I did once have minor surgery with a local anaesthetic without any problem, so I am guessing it's the general anaesthetic which has generated my current bout. If the problem can be triggered by a drug, maybe it can be cured by a drug???
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 05:44:21 AM »

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum.

From what you say, it seems to me that you have had a mild form of CFS for some time and that the trauma of the operation has produced an especially bad episode. The best advice I can offer at this stage is rest as much as you can. You say that the symptoms aren't helped by pain killers, which are in themselves toxic. Does this mean that you have a lot of pain with your symptoms?

Might a 'drug' sort things out? No.

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome