November 21, 2018, 05:30:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Quitting Smoking + M.E/CFS  (Read 1373 times)
impalpable77

« on: April 01, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »

I had been smoking for 22 years varying amounts before I quit.  A couple of months later my CFS symptoms started.  This was most likely just a coincidence and I'm by no means suggesting I start up again as I have now quit a year.  But it just makes me wonder is there any research about this or has anyone experienced the same.  You always hear of smokers being really unwell after they quit getting colds etc.  (I had shingles prior to my CFS).  Just interested to hear other peoples thoughts.
Purple Peril

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »

I don't know of any research, but given the chemicals that are floating around your body when you smoke, I imagine that some sort of reaction when they are removed suddenly is quite possible. I say this because I got depression quite randomly straight after I quit smoking, and they can often attribute depression without a specific trigger to 'chemical imbalance', don't they?

Tina
Sisyphus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:20:13 AM »

All depression ultimately is down to chemical imbalances which can be caused by emotional stress, physical stress or the affects of chemicals (like nicotine and alcohol). Nicotine mimics the actions of acetylcholine in the brain, ultimately increasing dopamine levels for a short period. Once you stop taking nicotine your dopamine levels drop, your brain isn't pumping out enough ACh and so it all has to adjust. Likely this has affects on your immune system as well, basically your body is just trying to rebalance, even your blood changes, thinning out, releasing carbon monoxide etc.

I doubt it would trigger CFS, as you say it's likely just a coincidence.  I would say though that sometimes I have used nicotine to keep me going. I don't smoke but when I'm really ill and need to do something I slap on a nicotine patch and find it gives me a big boost. I save it for very special occasions though.
Sisty88

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »

Hmmm....interesting question! I gave up smoking on may 11th 2012 and had a massive relapse on June 26th 2012 that I am still trying to get better from...however I gave up smoking by using electronic cigarettes, which I still use, so am still getting nicotine.
Will be interesting to see what others experiences have been!

TJ

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »

I gave up smoking by using electronic cigarettes, which I still use, so am still getting nicotine.

Same here but have gone down from 24mg/1ml to 16mg/1ml of nicotine.  My reason for doing this is I have it in my hand constantly (unlike cigarettes) and was getting nicotine overdose symptoms.  They have now disappeared.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome