November 24, 2017, 06:27:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: severe shoulder amd neck pain - can't stsnd it  (Read 2487 times)
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« on: April 26, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »

I've been having problems lately around my shoulders and neck. Severe pain which is sll around my shoulder blades, top of shoulder s, neck and even going up the side of my head behind my ear.

have had about 6 osteopathy treatment s now and its no better.  Pain is severe and sickning. No pain relief working and am already on morphine patches and other pain killers.  

At first I thought the problem was due to a shoulder bag I hadbeen using but I am now wondering if its simply the fybro myalgia.  Does ut suddenly start in differrent areas or perhaps areas where you have a weakness.

anybody know.  Anyone experienced the same thing.

eliz x
feroluce

Broken Toy

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »

Try a Chiropractor.

It's different to osteopathy, far more hippie.
They approach things from almost polar opposite routes.
Whenever I find a neck/shoulder problem that one of them doesn't fix I switch to the other.

The main advantage Chiropracting(?) has over Osteopathy is that you will know immediately if it's worked.

In the mean-time, try a banana milkshake (real banana).
Nice big doses of Calcium and Potassium, excellent muscle relaxers.
Try changing pillows too, weird but it sometimes works.

I had major shoulder and neck issues (way before this beautiful illness) from a basketball injury. Pain, stiffness, weakness, nausea, the works.
Osteopaths didn't help, the only thing that did was deep tissue injections of cortisone.
One trip to a chiropractor and he said the problem wasn't my shoulder but the top of my neck, told me something about misaligned energy flows then cracked my neck.
Years of trouble fixed in an instant.
Slow_Leopard
Code Monkey
Lifetime Member

Joint Hypermobility Syndrome

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »

I have severe neck and upper back pain, which actually tracks down my arms causing numbness as well.  My doctors and my Osteopath (who is still a doctor) believe it to be secondary to a herniated lumbar disc (which MRI has shown).  Because I move to protect the lumbar disc, things progressively go out of line and my upper back/neck gets worse and worse.

Whilst my herniated disc hurts, has nerve compression and makes my legs hurt too, I do not feel it as badly when my neck is really bad.  I think because it is more distracting and closer to the brain than the disc is.

I do have an excellent Osteo and whilst she cannot fix the herniated disc (no Osteo/Chiro could, it needs to shift/re-absorb, stay as it is, or surgery) she can undo usually all the secondary tension.  The cycle then repeats though so I am trying various things to help with the disc.

My point being, have you spoken to your doctor?  You could ask for a referral to orthopedics, for investigation.

The main advantage Chiropracting(?) has over Osteopathy is that you will know immediately if it's worked.

I feel both immediate and prolonged improvement from Osteo.

In terms of Osteo vs anything else what I would say is beware of any who "wrench" too much, given that the cause is not entirely known.  If they are acting a bit too much like Jack Bauer then . . .

Also, and this is true for many types of treatment, the skill and level of experience of the individual practitioner is key.  I would now never see a Chiropractor but that is because my Osteo is that good.  She is very upfront with me in saying she cannot fix the disc, but the level of relief I get from the secondary symptoms makes a big difference.  She is a slightly different kind of Osteo though I think.  I had seen one before who just did a couple of quick adjustments.

My current Osteo very gently, usually starting from the base of my spine, manipulates and releases things going up the spine.  In between appointments (monthly) I usually feel things "snap", with restricted movement and a lot of pain afterwards.  The Osteo is usually like "Yeah that is this, that, whatever" then releases them and I am fine in terms of upper back/neck pain.  My hands and arms are still a little numb but that is because I think  nerves are getting trapped and those do not recover instantly, even if the cause is removed.

You may find a very good Chiro though, I am not saying they are bad in general, I have never actually been to one and I have heard people have positive experiences.
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »

Thanks guys.

Some positive and some negative points there but all very helpful.

I have known my osteo for about 14 years and trust him implicitly.  He is slso is a perrin practioner and first noticed my ME so looks at the nody as a whole.

have tried a different osteo in between but she couldnt sort eithrr.

my n osteo has said in the past I think you need an xray or you nerd to see your doctor etc so he wont just carry on tsking my monry for nothing.

I am thinking of seeing gp to get it notex and to see about referred to orthopaedic team which we e have on the b premises.

think my whole b ody is out of alignment

eliz x
Sisyphus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »

Sorry if this sounds alarmist but maybe worth seeing your doctor and having your heart checked. I doubt that's it but you can't be too careful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome