April 24, 2019, 07:49:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alternate day calorie restriction diets?  (Read 3181 times)
Respected1989

« on: May 10, 2014, 05:15:01 PM »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here has had any success with an alternate day calorie restriction diet? I came across this research article (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16529878) some time ago but never acted on it.

Personally, I've never had any success with other diets because I've suffered with binge eating disorder for many years, which makes trying to stick to a restrictive diet almost impossible. However, the idea of only having to restrict my calorie intake on one day, and having the opportunity to make up for the shortfall on the next day, seems quite manageable.

According to some research, this diet helps with balancing blood sugar levels. This is something my body struggles to do because of years of binge eating. So I'm probably going to give it a shot and report back.

Sisyphus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »

I do this diet as there is some very good research behind it for all sorts of things. It has no effect on my ME/CFS but helps maintain my weight as obviously exercise is impossible.
Respected1989

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »

I do this diet as there is some very good research behind it for all sorts of things. It has no effect on my ME/CFS but helps maintain my weight as obviously exercise is impossible.

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, do you also look to eliminate any problematic foods (e.g. high sugar foods) while on the diet? Also how long have you consistently been on the diet for?

Cheers
Tom
Suesancy
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »

Hi, I do this diet too.    When I was first ill I put on loads of weight, and whilst it wasn't the cause of the symptoms it did cause me lots of extra physical and psychological problems.

I started the 5:2 diet In June 2013 and to date I have lost 4 stone and am almost back to my "fighting" weight!  I also have excluded gluten and alcohol.  So do I feel any better?  Well yes I do in many ways, psychologically losing the weight has been very helpful as I had been very depressed at my appearance, but physically it hasn't made a great deal of difference.  However as I am sometimes confined to my wheelchair mY husband has benefited by having less of me to push.  And certainly my digestive issues have slightly improved

And I do find, like Sisyphus, that it is now helping me to maintain my weight.

All in all  I would recommend it, it is easy to follow and does give results.

Sue
Keela Too
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »

I tried this for a while, but I seem to fare better on consistency.  As I said in the other thread going on weight issues, I now restrict when I eat - 11am - 7pm each day.  Well okay I'm not totally strict on this, but that is the routine for 5 or 6 days each week.  I don't get hungry as my body seems to have adapted and keeping starchy/sugary foods down also helps. 

My ME Blog Just ME Check the Index for some posts on Pacing
May 2015 Awareness post: Well enough to Drink Coffee?
TJ

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »

Is the jury still out on eating after 6pm?  It is my biggest downfall as I tend to go all day on a bowl of cereal then start eating after 9pm and also picking prior to going to bed  rolleyes
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:12:52 PM »

the 5:2 diet works fir me but have to say I dont remember all the time..

as well as a weight control I do find for me that it helps my digestive system but I think thats mire to do with my crohns and the fact thst on my restricted days I stick to home made soup.

talen - re the after 6 thing its long been recognised thst you dont burn off calories as well after 6 but its difficult snyway to burn off calories when you have restricted mobility. once I've gone to bed I find I start wanting to eat sweet thi gs. if I didnt do that I'd have no problem with my weight

eliz x
Sisyphus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, do you also look to eliminate any problematic foods (e.g. high sugar foods) while on the diet? Also how long have you consistently been on the diet for?

Cheers
Tom

I've been doing this diet for years, not sure how long but I read about it in some Journal or other and gave it a go, this was before the current media circus that's surrounded it and some of the seriously outlandish claims that are being made. Still it has good evidence for increasing insulin sensitivity, lowering bad cholesterol and a few other things.

I didn't really need to cut anything bad out of my diet as my diet wasn't bad to start with. It's just that being so inactive I was starting to put on weight and I couldn't cut calories anymore without feeling constantly hungry and sacrificing nutrition. So the 5:2 diet worked out really well. Although I hate calling it a diet because that word has been turned into something meaning that you only do it for a while to lose weight, whereas it should be a lifestyle change.

Anyway point is it's a great thing for some, awful for others. You'll just have to give it a go, but obviously if you have anything besides CFS/ME talk to your doctor first.
Purple Peril

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »

t
talen - re the after 6 thing its long been recognised thst you dont burn off calories as well after 6 but its difficult snyway to burn off calories when you have restricted mobility. once I've gone to bed I find I start wanting to eat sweet thi gs. if I didnt do that I'd have no problem with my weight

eliz x

surely this has been disproven, since our metabolism etc does not cease to function at a given time of day?

I tried 5:2, with succes, but found it was setting off my long-dormant IBS. 16:8 is more successful from that point of view so far (restricting calorie intake to an 8 hour window).

Tina
JulofDenial

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 11:09:15 PM »

My neurologist swears by the 5:2 Diet (calorie restriction 2 non consecutive days out of 5). I looked into it and never tried it, but the science is there and he gave it glowing reviews though he admits it is not for everyone. From what I learned about it there is a lot of positive long term effects of he diet, but I doubt that doctors will ever start prescribing it simply because they know most people won't follow through!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome