March 23, 2019, 03:08:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 5445 times)
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« on: July 11, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »

Can anyone recommend a good mindfulness CD ?
Slow_Leopard
Code Monkey
Lifetime Member

Joint Hypermobility Syndrome

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »

Not as such although check out this.

I personally find the male american voice ones impossible.  Keep expecting them to try and sell me something.

I think there are a few good tracks on there though if you look through.  I will also see what I can do regarding finding more.

Might I also suggest that before doing so you take a look at your breathing.  Are you breathing up into your chest?   At a high rate?

Regardless, the best technique I have been taught for breathing in a relaxed was was to lay on your back and take a slow but deep breath in through your belly, imagine raising an object like a book up and down, using one if it helps.  Timings vary but I was taught the 7-11 technique, one by which you should count in 7, then out 11.  Not as in 7 seconds, what I mean by this is as a ratio.  So to begin with counting just as slow as you feel comfortable in your head.  I could only do like 5-7 to start because I had not been breathing properly for quite some time.
sparkles

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:58:52 PM »

Hi neptuno, I would also recommend using the link  Slow_Leopard has provided, there are lots of good ones there and I believe they are similar to that of Jon Kabat Zinn who appears to be well respected in the field of meditation.

Jon Kabat Zinn is excellent and when attending hospital meditation courses a lot of what we were taught was based on what I later discovered is similar to JK Zinn's  method of guided meditation although there are many others who also use same style. His cd's, books etc are now available to purchase in UK via google search, if you have a look at this website although not UK it shows what he currently has available http://www.mindfulnesscds.com/

I also have difficulty with certain voices and that actually prevents me from being able to focus on the meditation, it is probably a personal choice in finding a voice that you can tolerate smile

rolleyes relaxing and being aware of breathing, especially breathing is easier said than done for me. It is a fantastic feeling when you are fully focussed on breathing and your mind is empty from everything else going on which is one reasons why I thoroughly enjoy guided mindfulness meditation as it allows perfect peace.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:07:01 PM by sparkles » Logged
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »

Thank you so much for this, and to Roger for his help also.  c017
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »

I am doing a mindfulness course through my local mental health team at the monent. Its been invaluable.

2hrs a week for 8 weeks this Thursday will be week 5 .

Uses buddist mediation. Focusing on breathing. Living in the present.  We use a lot of john  kabot zin stuff.

Just go on you tube and search mindfulness - should find losds

Eliz x
MissyRS

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »

Hi Neptuno,

The chap who wrote the book I read about all this - Jon Kabat Zinn has 3 lots of CD's that give guided meditation ... I'm thinking they may well be a good place to go???  Or at least to try one and then maybe you'll want to move on or perhaps to go it alone???  here's the amazon address to the first one... (don't know how to make it a hyper link... unless it does it automatically - we shall see!!! )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guided-Mindfulness-Meditation-Jon-Kabat-Zinn/dp/1591793599/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407921062&sr=1-3

The reviews are excellent - and it is what he and another chap developed for the Uk ... so should all be sensible to our point of view?!

Ciao for now....

Missy   smile

'Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards'.  Soren Kierkegaard
LadyLynda
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »

If you are still looking I have lots & would be happy to share my thoughts, muddled as they may be. it is a primary interest of mine
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »

Yes please ! Always interested !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome