October 16, 2018, 12:27:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxygen Therapy in Edinburgh  (Read 4248 times)
tandrsc
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »

I only found about this by accident, so I wanted to try and let more know about it.

Oxygen Therapy is breathing oxygen in a decompression chamber (i.e. at pressure). The idea is that it forces increased oxygenation of the blood and promotes healing.

It has been the subject of many studies and here's the abstract of one for ME/CFS:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23682549

In Scotland it appears to be a very common treatment for MS, and I've met a few MS people for whom it has worked wonders and keeps all their symptoms at bay.

If you live in Edinburgh, there is an MS Therapy Centre that will offer Oxygen Therapy to ME people as well (free of charge). Here is their site - watch the wee video to see what to expect:

http://www.mstc-lothian.org.uk/oxygentherapy.php

I've been going - it's early days yet and it's not life changing - but it's definitely helping in that I don't feel so ill all the time.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:42:59 AM by tandrsc » Logged
Sisyphus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »

It should be noted that it was a very small group and had no control group, it does appear they recommended further testing so worth keeping an eye on it once they have done a full blind trial with controls.
petit-pois

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »

Hello Tandrsc

I have just come across your post and was wondering if you have an update with regards to your oxygen treatment?

Petit-Pois x
tandrsc
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:45:59 PM »

Hello

I've been going once a week for a few months now. I can say that it takes the edge off so that I am able to do a bit more, but it's not a cure.

There other ME people going and they seem to be getting more benefit than me. Each to their own I guess.

I've tried going more often, but the effort of going outweighs the benefit I get from it.

I would definitely say it's worth a try, especially since it's free of charge.
petit-pois

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »

Hello T

I'm sorry the activity of you going outweighs the benefits.  I watched the wee oxygen therapy video you posted - It looks fascinating!  I live too far away from Edinburgh but maybe in the future there will be more of them  smile

Petit-Pois
KV_Tofu

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »

Hey

I know this is an old thread but I clicked on it because I was actually wondering about something like this the other day.

I thought i would update your link, too, as it no longer work:

Edinburgh clinic: http://www.mstc-lothian.org.uk/ms.html
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »

Various oxygen therapies are used in the alternative world for cancer, with many good anecdotal results, which makes sense as cancer cells are anaerobic. Personally, I had about ten ozone treatments at one point, which were expensive and unhelpful. This isn't an approach I'd suggest, but who knows?

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
KV_Tofu

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:35:22 AM »

Doesnt make sense to me. The only benefit is maybe it makes you breathe more calmly? My oxygen levels are fine apparently. My body is just shit at using it. So more wont make any difference. So for now, i am not interested but like you said: who knows..
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »

Basically, I just think there are many other 'get well' options that your money is better spent on.

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome