November 21, 2018, 05:31:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fundraising For M.E/CFS (Crowdsourcing)  (Read 4340 times)
siamesecats
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:25:40 AM »

Hi there, I'm looking to raise some money to help raise awareness for M.E/CFS as I suffer from it myself.

Please see here: link removed

Thanks!

SL:  Link removed and ALLCAPs title changed.  Reply incoming
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:32:25 AM by Slow_Leopard » Logged
Slow_Leopard
Code Monkey
Lifetime Member

Joint Hypermobility Syndrome

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »

My first reaction was to remove this post due to the sites rules on advertising (see here).  However, I felt it would be better to leave the post in place and explain firstly that we do have rules on advertising and also to discuss fundraising.

The link posted was to a crowd sourcing website where a request was posted in order to fund "a local charity" to help promote awareness of ME/CFS.  The request stated that a portion of the funds raised would go to help funding this charity.  It did not specify as far as I could see what this portion would be although the crowd sourcing site would charge approx 10% in fees on donations.  The request then went on to say that the person would like to travel round the country raising awareness of ME/CFS.  This was followed by some information on ME/CFS lifted from the ME Association.

Why I wanted to talk about this was to make members aware of potential scams.  There does not seem to be any oversight on the crowd sourcing website, no way of verifying the legitimacy of the request.  What sets off alarm bells for me is the vagueness of the request.  "Raising Awareness" . . . what exactly does that entail?  What portion of the funds will go to a charity and which charity is it?  Coupled with the quick copy/paste to fill out most of the page (there were only about 4 original sentences) made me feel this was potentially a scam.  it may not be, the person may be a legitimate CFS sufferer and may have good intentions.  It is just in my nature to see potential problems or abuse of computer systems as it is what I do professionally.

I also question the usefulness of such an endeavor.  One person not trained in marketing or with any claimed experience of charity or any other work would in my opinion only have a very limited effect.  Many people find it difficult explaining their situation to friends and family.  Explaining it to the public is a whole other endeavor.  There is also the matter of that to explain.  I personally disagree with a good bit of what the ME Association says (that is another, longer post).  Despite that, I suspect donating directly to such a body would be more helpful than donating to an unknown individual with vague objectives.

I suggest people keep this in mind when they read such posts, it may sound like a genuine person in a similar situation to yourself and they may sound like they are trying to do something noble, they may actually be doing so.  Just stop and think about what you know about this person, does anything sound "off" and how easy would it be to duplicate it as part of a scam.  In this case, I think it would be very easy.

Again, I am not claiming with certainty this was a scam, which is why I have not banned the member.  All I am saying is set off a lot of alarms and people should be wary of such things.
Keela Too
Lifetime Member

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »

Certainly sounds as though caution is needed.   embarrased

My ME Blog Just ME Check the Index for some posts on Pacing
May 2015 Awareness post: Well enough to Drink Coffee?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome