November 16, 2018, 05:05:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)  (Read 5099 times)
fairy

« on: April 30, 2015, 07:41:44 PM »

Has anyone got experience with having CBT as part of treatment?

The clinic who diagnosed me has referred me to have CBT and I'm wondering what to expect. I've had more "traditional" therapy and I wasn't overly keen but it was some time ago.
feroluce

Broken Toy

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »

It works.

I resisted Pacing for years, because it makes no logical sense:
I have energy now, I should use it to do things because I won't have energy later - Perfectly logical.
I have energy now, I better not use it - Pacing.

Changing routines takes energy, energy we don't have.
It's far too easy to try pacing and give on it early (because it's Illogical and hard).

CBT will help you make sense of it, and pacing is the massively most effective way to manage this beautiful illness.

As for what to expect. CBT was developed from the screaming drill sergeant you see in every war movie.
It breaks you down to build you back up again.
It's a lot more gentle than the army though ;-)
It will take you through 'unlearning' habits and creating new ones.
Don't resist, jump straight in and it will be a lot easier.

It is confrontational but it's the therapist encouraging you to confront yourself rather than someone screaming at you while you run around in the rain wearing just your underwear and a pair of boots you spent hours laboriously polishing.
Unless you do it really wrong.

There will be homework too...
Sisyphus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:38:48 AM »

People have very different experiences of CBT, mostly because of how it is implemented but also because many people just do not respond well to it. The way feroluce describes it, as a method that teaches you to pace yourself is the correct way and useful for all of us. The other way that it is taught is essentially a progressive exercise program, starting small and building up with the aim to cure you, this is a dangerous approach and has hurt many people including myself. It took me months to recover but that was the very early days of the practice in CFS patients and it does seem to have been improved, with more therapists well versed in our illness and it's limitations.

It's so tempting to overdo things when you have the energy.
fairy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate people taking the time.

Still quite worried. I have some prior mental health issues and I've never been a fan of dragging up the past. I'm worried about coping during the early stages before I start to see any improvement.

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with anything like the above?

neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »

Yep. CBT is all about challenging habits, beliefs and attitudes in a way that's safe and right for YOU - so it's different for everyone. Slow and easy does it......
Anne56

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »

I had CBT although I had been using the techniques prior to seeing a counsellor. I can't say that it made a massive difference to my condition. CBT is offered to help us to manage the condition, not as a treatment per se. CBT seems to be the 'in' thing at the moment, probably because it's the cheapest option for the NHS. We need to be careful that we don't expect too much from this therapy.
Rafereal

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 04:42:11 AM »

I have the same idea as the comment above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome