March 23, 2019, 02:22:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crashed! :(  (Read 5044 times)
tired1

« on: July 26, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »

Hi all.  I've had a bad day today.  My cfs hadn't been too bad lately, but I've pushed myself too much over the past week and really crashed today.  I normally do 29 hours a week at work, but last week I had to cover for someone who was off and did about 40.  Then yesterday I had to go somewhere and it was a 2 hour drive to get there and a 2 hour drive back, and I didn't get home til 3am.  Once I got home I felt so exhausted that I felt physically sick.  I slept from 4am til 11.30am, but when I got up I felt like I was hungover (even though I didn't drink last night), and the nausea and exhaustion continued.  I've felt so tired that I've felt a bit queasy before, but never felt so bad that I thought I was actually going to be sick  :(  I had to go back to sleep earlier and slept for another few hours, which makes me feel guilty, as I feel like I should be doing stuff with my son (who's 10).  Just wish I could physically cope with stuff as well as my friends and co-workers do  :(
Keela Too
Lifetime Member

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:50:06 PM »

Sorry you have crashed, but please be careful...

It seems you are generally high functioning, but it is possible to push yourself into a crash that plummets your abilities for the long term. 

I have spoken to individuals who thought their ME was bad, but who pushed on in a boom and bust manner until one day the bust didn't lift.... one lady went from working (with pushing herself) to being bedbound for seven years!!!! 

It is not a risk worth taking.  Taking on extra is not a luxury we have. xx

Yet I know how easy it is to end up crashed.  I had avoided all but fairly minor dips for a full year, but last week mis-judged something... it wasn't much extra, but I'm still concerned that once this dip (after my crash) lifts, I might have lost another layer of my abilities.  Rarely do I get everything back after a crash.

Sorry to appear so pessimisitic, but sometimes you really do need to think long term rather than just in the moment with this illness.  And I know how hard it is to rest, but try not to feel guilty, because that rest could be preserving your health for the future.  xx

My ME Blog Just ME Check the Index for some posts on Pacing
May 2015 Awareness post: Well enough to Drink Coffee?
tired1

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 07:40:15 PM »

Sorry you have crashed, but please be careful...

It seems you are generally high functioning, but it is possible to push yourself into a crash that plummets your abilities for the long term. 

I have spoken to individuals who thought their ME was bad, but who pushed on in a boom and bust manner until one day the bust didn't lift.... one lady went from working (with pushing herself) to being bedbound for seven years!!!! 

It is not a risk worth taking.  Taking on extra is not a luxury we have. xx

Yet I know how easy it is to end up crashed.  I had avoided all but fairly minor dips for a full year, but last week mis-judged something... it wasn't much extra, but I'm still concerned that once this dip (after my crash) lifts, I might have lost another layer of my abilities.  Rarely do I get everything back after a crash.

Sorry to appear so pessimisitic, but sometimes you really do need to think long term rather than just in the moment with this illness.  And I know how hard it is to rest, but try not to feel guilty, because that rest could be preserving your health for the future.  xx

Thank you for your advice Keela Too.  I will try to rest and recuperate wherever possible.  I don't feel as bad today as I did yesterday, so onwards and upwards!  Smiley
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:34:40 PM »

I understand what keela too means and tired I understand what you're going through.

When you have  ME part of you fights against it because you want to be able to carry on as normal but as keels says once you've got it it comes with some nasty surprises.

My ME is the result of denial  and pushing myself either through default or having no choice. I realise what keel means  about it chipping away at layers.  I am just going through a terrible  "crash" and looking back I can  see I haven't got back to a reasonable level for ages.

The consequences of pushing against it too hard can be irreversible

Eliz x
Sisyphus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I have CFS/ME

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »

I just want to support that has been said. Just because you feel ok today doesn't mean you should start continuing as normal. It's important to learn proper pacing, listening to your body and recognizing whatever early warning signs it throws up. This gives you the best chance of recovery.
tired1

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »

Hi again everyone.  Thanks for your words of advice.  I agree with everything that's been said, and think it's time that I actually read up on how to do pacing, tips on how to help myself, etc, as I'm not really clued-up on that side of things I have to admit.  After the last time I posted on this thread, saying that I was feeling better than the day before, etc, I soon realised that I was still far from OK.  To be honest, I haven't really felt right since, but it's been more up-and-down over the past few days, rather than constant like it was for the first few days, so I guess that means I am starting to recover from this latest crash.  I just feel a bit frustrated by it all at the moment.
Keela Too
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »

Frustrated we all understand!   tongue

I think the ideal is to aim for a roughly consistent level of energy expenditure daily. Whatever that level is will be unique to you at any given time.   

Adjusting to a new low is the toughest, but once you can pace enough to get some stability, then I think life is easier...

Good luck. xx

My ME Blog Just ME Check the Index for some posts on Pacing
May 2015 Awareness post: Well enough to Drink Coffee?
biggstu

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:39:03 PM »

Hi tired1

I know where you are coming from - i've got a young family as well and it can be frustrating not having the energy to do things that you want to. I am also currently trying to find the balance at the moment. I think i am getting there slowly - touch wood!

read up when you can and try to think about how you can manage what you need to do with what you want to do.

Stu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome