November 13, 2018, 10:02:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: question about a gastro problem and how to deal with it URGENT  (Read 1367 times)
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »

I just need to run this idea past anyone that's around.

It's related to gastroenterology and not happy with a particular consultant.  

Brief history.  I have ME /CFS and Fybro but I also have crohns (2003). I have a wonderful gastro consultant who I see every 6 months. My husband, who has been ill since 1996 with a CRPS a neurological condition, started with gastro problems about August last year. Was referred to gastroenterology but despite asking to be referred to my consultant he saw a different one.  He had tests with no review and it was only when we asked the gp we were told he had a fatty liver and asked our gp to refer him back and the gp also asked for a scan of the liver fibres. He got a letter last October saying his appt was end March 2016 (5 mths). The gp asked him to bring the appt forward  and the consultant refused. My husband is retching all the time, feels sick all the time and now has poor bowel control.

My dilemma is. I have my crohns review tomorrow morning and during that appt  I want to ask my "wonderful" consultant whether my husband can change his consultant or would that be wrong of me to talk to my consultant about  it. I would say to mine that I understand if he can't give me advice as it would be unprofessional but I'm really concerned that my husband is not getting the attention he needs and he's just seen as a complicated nuisance.

I know that my consultant does private work and I wonder whether to ask him tomorrow how much he charges.

I really  feel helpless on this one. It's affecting my condition.

Eliz x
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »

You will probably not see this before your appointment. I think if it were me I would go the admin route and get details of your consultant's secretary and you can ask her about his private work and who to contact for this with the charges.

I am not sure I would ask my consultant about changing consultants, though I think we are all entitled to a 2nd opinion so you could approach the GP about that, and about whether a change is possible. On one occasion I was referred to a consultant and wanted to see a specific one and my GP wrote a very clear letter to them to say that I must see this one - otherwise you end up just being referred to 'one of the team' and you might turn up on the day and they could be off on holiday. In my case this worked well. In your husband's case though if done on the NHS then this could end up in even more delays for him, as maybe they would have to start the process from scratch if he does this whereas if he goes privately it would be much quicker.

ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:29:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply  Aggie.

Just an update.

I saw my consultant this morning. He was running very late so I was a bit hesitant however as stress affects my crohns greatly  I used that opportunity.  We obviously included that in our review as to how to manage things better. I said I knew he was busy but could I run something past him coz it was affecting my stress level.

I explained my husband had already seen a consultant but I wasn't going to say which one and was it possible to change as we're not happy with the way it's going. He said that's fine and ask the gp to write in.

Also pre-empting more delay I'm going to ring the local private hospital and ask how much one consultation would be because you get more time and then see him on the NHS.

Eliz x
Penny Vintage

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »

I was just thinking, could your partner ask for anti sickness pills? So atleast in the short term he'd have abit of relief. I've had them before due to kidney stones, kidney infections and continual nausea for months with crohns. It helped a lot.
I understand they might be hesitant due to no diagnosis but if it effects him that much I think they would.
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »

Hi penny

Due to a very unhelpful local neurologist he was taken off his anti sickness pills (long story). When we saw the doctor the other day he put him back on them. They seem to be helping which will tied him over until we see consultant.

Eliz x
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome