November 24, 2017, 06:23:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exercise - I really don't!!!!  (Read 2593 times)
MissyRS

« on: July 24, 2016, 02:10:25 PM »

Hello dears!!

So ... In the days 'before' I used to walk a lot and swim a few times a week.... Now I really have chosen to put all my eggs into the basket marked 'work' - so there is very little of anything that happens in Missy World... Now please do not get me wrong... I love my work - and I love my life... but I'm thinking about introducing some exercise into my world over the summer some more. 

I have a Wii so it could be as simple as using that each week... I have fibro also so I'm not sure what is a good idea and what is not... I also find I'm very noise sensitive (not the best for a high school teacher - but it adds an interesting element I can tell you!!!!) so find the swimming pool not so pleasant!!! 

Any ideas peeps?  I know many do not get along with exercise but have any of you found things that have been helpful?

Cheers.

smile

'Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards'.  Soren Kierkegaard
carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 04:39:05 PM »

I'm in a different position as my spine and neck are buggered so I'm very limited, but the pain clinic told me that the only exercise u I could do was gentle walking and using an exercise bike or if I must back stroke in a pool, main reason I'm so limited is my spine and neck is crumbling and collapsing but the most important thing to remember is to start any exercise regime slowly and very gradually increase the time and intensity add your body tells you it is safe to do so, not sticking to any pre arranged plan, simply listening to your bodies signals. Good luck lovely.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:14:49 PM »

Yes, Missy, as Carrie says, whatever approach you take,  start VERY slowly. Initially, I'd go as far as saying  just try GENTLE stretching, and stretch each muscle group just ONCE, then wait two or three days before going any further because negative results can show two or three days after the event. If you get no negative results, then maybe push slightly harder - but build up very slowly. I like Sarah Myhill, and her view that in full blown CFS, there is very poor mitochondria function which effectively means that there's a kind of heart failure going on, makes sense to me. So I'd be VERY wary of cardio type exercise until you can very comfortably do less energetic things like the stretching and tensioning.

Basically, be careful - it's VERY easy to do more harm than good, which is why the fact that GET is still recommended is, IMHO, a disgrace.

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
MissyRS

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »

Thanks guys - you are stars!!

Carrie - sorry to hear about your spine and neck - that does not sound like fun in any way, shape or form!! Take is easy chick!!!  sad I will have to make sure I listen to the wisdom of my body rather than my 'best ideas'!!!

Roger - that is really interesting about the mitochondria - I keep meaning to read the Sarah Myhill stuff ... but as with many things it keeps getting shifted lower down my 'to do' list!!!  - I have found that I have been at my very worst following a burst of physical activity in the past - to the point I have passed out on one occasion and nearly passed out on  a couple of other occasions!  But that is a scary thought that I run away from (good old ostrich that I am!!) ...

I will certainly NOT over do... I want to be calm and well and chilled as much as possible!!!!

smile

'Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards'.  Soren Kierkegaard
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:06:50 PM »

GOOD!!  smile

Her book is very informative, though it does get a tad technical at times, and there are a few test reports that baffle me completely, but I do think it's well worth reading.

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »

I probably do more than many with ME/CFS but I have limits and know when I have got there and then I get fibro pain, or other things happen to me, like migraines.

So.... with that intro, I will tell you that I am going to buy myself a 'rebounder' which looks like a mini trampoline, but you don't have to bounce up and down in the same way. You never go higher than 6 inches, and you can stay on the spot and still get benefit apparently. I was worried about how deconditioned I got last winter, and wanted to find something to help and this seems to be good for people with ME as you can literally just do a couple of minutes and get benefit. At least I won't be doing long sessions on it. It's also supposed to be good for keeping the lymph moving.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:55:49 PM by agapanthus » Logged

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »

Hey, Aggie - I bought one last year. I started with what they call 'the health bounce', where your feet don't actually leave the surface at all. About ten months on, I'm still at that level - just a minute or so two or three times a week. If I try anything more adventurous, I don't feel well at all! But, as you know, I listen to a lot of interviews with researchers, scientists and alternative doctors, and without fail, they ALL rate rebounding as the best possible exercise, and they all stress how good it is for getting the lymph flowing.

I think you're a lot fitter than me to start with, so I suspect that getting one is a good idea. Just one point - I had a really good look around before buying, reading load of reviews, many by professionals, and there are a lot of poor quality ones out there, so I'd suggest not scrimping on price.

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »

How interesting Roger. I had no idea you had bought one.

Yes, I have been reading up and not intending buying the cheapest one. I think it's the Urban Rebounder I thought was a reasonable price for better quality. Which one did you get?

MissyRS

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »

Ohhhh - dear ones... this sounds tres exciting... I'm off to youtube to check that one out!!!!

1rij   although it may be a bit more like.... dance

smile

MissyRS

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »

Smiley whoo Smiley whoo Smiley whoo

Oh my word - that looks SO MUCH FUN!!!!

I'm loving just watching this!!!!

smile

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 05:34:01 AM »

Now, now Missy, settle down  Smiley   Missy, you really are a star!!

Pro Gym, Aggie, from ReboundUK - I think it's them who sell the Urban too!

neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 01:14:12 PM »

This sounds fun !      A baby bouncer for grown ups  whoo

Is he pro gym model suitable for absolute beginner with low (very low) fitness levels ?

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »

Yes, neptuno, you simple bounce at whatever pace you like, perhaps starting with 'the health bounce'. But I guess that the cheaper ones are also suitable for beginners, but maybe won't be so suitable if you progress. I bought that one because a) it was suitable for most weights, and many aren't - I'm only 10 stone....kilos, what are they...but visitors always want a go and some of them are fat,  and b) it's VERY sturdy.

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 03:00:15 PM »

Yes, Roger. That's where I was looking for one from Rebound UK. I see that they have a sale on at the moment, so maybe I should go for one now. I see they have the Maximus Pro Rebounder reduced from 199 to 139 . I want one with a bar to hold on to so I don't fall off - your one is reduced to 159 but I think you have to buy the bar separately . The Urban Rebounder is 129. I wonder what the advantages of the various ones are...do you know?

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 04:02:28 PM »

This is probably just me, Aggie - but I'm put off the folding ones on the basis that non-folders are probably more structurally sound. But that only leaves the pro gym, and that's what I'd buy (again) - it really is well built and very solid. The handle isn't an issue that bothers me (or Haze), but if you wouldn't feel confident without one, then you should have one. Adding it makes the pro gym pretty expensive, so it's up to you, though the other thing about the handle ones is that putting it away is likely to be a pain - we can fold ours flat in 20 seconds.

They are pretty decent people, so you could always call them for advice.

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »

Thank you.

I am not sure that I would ever fold it in quarters though it's useful to have the option. I doubt it will get enough heavy use to worry about the structure of it - me bouncing ever so gently is not going to overstress it (I hope!  rolleyes).

I want to fold up the legs to store it in my bedroom occasionally but as you say the handle is likely to be a pain. I think I will start with it on and see how I get on, but my balance is not very good due to hypermobility issues so I think I should have it.

I plan to keep it up mostly in the back of the garden room hopefully and use it in there. Nowhere else to put it in our house...

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »

Probably best to have a chat with them then - do check the max weight though, some are very low.

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »

Ok but I am not VERY heavy ...... Wink
Ah now I see - the mid priced one that is reduced takes another 2 stone in weight, so I think I will go for that one....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:44:54 PM by agapanthus » Logged

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 04:49:05 PM »

The only one I can really comment on, Aggie, is the one I've got. So I really would suggest you talk to them for advice before buying.

Good luck.

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »

Ok thanks will do tomorrow.

Nursebean

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »

Hi Missy! I went to see a chiropractor yesterday.  He advised finding an exercise and finding your limit - so say 8 lengths of a swimming pool - and then doing less than that to start with.  Gradually increase this - but slowly and this should lead to less fatigue and a fitter body.  It sounds easier said than done to me - but I should think joining a class where you do gentle stretching - such as Pilates (he didn't recommend yoga because of the way you bend backwards (the cause of my back problem I think!)
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 03:02:33 PM »

Well that's GET, bean, and I don't buy it.

MissyRS

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 05:30:34 PM »

You guys are fab!!  I think I'll continue to have a look at this one... I was also chatting to Mother Missy and she reminded me how much I used to love walking - so I'm thinking of perhaps a treadmill???  I can listen to music/watch TV whilst doing that too???  We shall see as they ones that have the best reviews are not cheap!!! 

But... having said that - I LOVE the look of a rebounder - and I'd only be able to do a gentle bounce so I'm really torn between the two... until I have a decision I'll keep pondering and listening to all your fabulous advice!!! I'm off to check out the sale Aggie has mentioned!

smile

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 05:34:54 PM »

MissyRS
I have now bought the mid priced rebounder in the sale so it's on its way to me!!  smile As it was only 10 more than their lowest priced one it did seem to be well worth paying just that bit extra - in case I go up to 15 stone ha ha. Actually, just thought, my granddaughter and son may want a go, and not sure how heavy he is now - possibly getting on for that if not more so if more he will be banned.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:35:15 PM by agapanthus » Logged

MissyRS

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »

Haha - I'm now picturing a whole family of little rebounders!!!!   smile smile smile smile smile

Have fun - I'm soooooo excited for you!!!!

Please, please keep us updated about how this all goes for you!

thumbsup

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome