September 21, 2017, 05:36:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Co q10 and acetyl l-carnitine combo  (Read 551 times)
Jayne73

« on: March 20, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »

Hi,
I have started taking the following doses together: carnitine 1.5g and Q10 250mg. Within 20 minutes of taking these in the morning I get a surge of energy, this lasts for 4 hours before I come crashing down with extreme fatigue and heavy fog. I'm going to try spreading the doses out tomorrow but has anyone else experiencing this, I feel like absolute crap and can't function this afternoon.  sad
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »

Hi Jayne,

Lots of folk don't get on with L-Carnitine, including me - it screwed up my guts.

In your case, I think as long as your COQ10 is good quality, and in an oil capsule rather than a tablet, I wouldn't think that's the problem, though 250mg is quite a high starting dose. But 1.5g of L-Carnitine is A LOT - if I was taking it, I wouldn't start with more than 500mg. I'd guess that that's where the energy surge is coming from, but the trouble is that if you have CFS/ME, the energy surge will probably be Adrenalin driven, and if that's the case, the resultant crash would be a big one.

Basically, I believe that, in CFS, creating high energy artificially is a bad idea because of poor ATP production for recovery.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:42:31 PM by roger » Logged

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Talen

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »

Hi Jayne.

I have recently increased my Q10 to 100mg/day and also started L-carnitine at 500mg/day.  I use Doctor's Best.  Up to now I have not noticed any difference in energy levels.  The analgesic effect for neuropathic pain is difficult to assess as I have recently started a new pain medication which is definitely helping.

Jayne73

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »

Thanks Roger that makes sense, such a shame as I really felt great at first. I tried today dividing my daily dose between 3 and tonight I am having a bad night again. I think I will try the Q10 on its own tomorrow to see how I get on, if I don't get any side effects I will try a lower dose of the l-carn too the next day. I don't want to give up on them as They could be beneficial and I have spent a fortune on them! Talen I'm glad you are getting on ok with the supplements. I am also on neuropathic pain medication and it definitely helping with my nerve pain and aches.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:28 AM »

I think you'll be okay on the Q10 alone, Jayne, but no problem with trying to carn at a lower dose. Good luck  fingerscrossed

adambeyoncelowe

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »

The Co-Q10 is working well for me, but I'm not taking the l-carnitine yet. I think it's one of the few supplements I'm not taking, but I may not bother just for now. I may wait until I see how everything else is working out for me.

For the last three days, I've been having 500mg/day Co-Q10 along with the other supplements Dr Myhill recommends (on p.87 of It's Mitochondria, Not Hypochondria), and I'm stirring 5g creatine into my early morning coffee as an addition of my own, as it's meant to be useful for exertion. The last two days, I've been better than I've been for the last month, although I'm flagging a bit today already as I've cut down my morning coffees from two really strong coffees made in a stovetop espresso maker to one double shot Americano made with a Nespresso machine. My eyes are already starting to tire looking at the screen and I think I may need to have a second coffee around 11am if I want to get anything done.

I did crash yesterday and the day before around 2-3pm, which is normal for me anyway, but my brain fog has been much better for the most part, and I think it's the Co-Q10. It's worth mentioning, though, that I'm back to only working two days a week, and even then I'm spreading the work out over multiple days and working in bed. So I think the lack of exertion is making a difference as well.

Matcha tea helped yesterday afternoon when I crashed. Does anyone have any experience of it? It's powdered, whole-leaf green tea, taken from the best parts of the tree. It does have caffeine, but it's also full of L-theanine and antioxidants, and it's meant to be slower releasing than coffee. I may try to switch from coffee to match altogether, as I never used to drink coffee anyway. But I think coffee is a jolt to my system and aggravates my IBS symptoms, whereas matcha is much slower and gentler.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »

Hi Adam,

Matcha tea is the one I use, and I think it has been useful. Also, although it does contain caffeine, it's not nearly as stressful on the adrenals as coffee.

Re COQ10, in my experience the people who say it hasn't helped just aren't taking enough - often 60 to 100mg. Again in my experience, different people need different amounts, but I think your 500mg dose is about right for most CFSers. Problem is of course, that for many CFSers, the good quality stuff isn't affordable at that level.

adambeyoncelowe

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »

I'm glad you're a fellow matcha-lover, Roger. Comparing the two, I tend to prefer matcha anyway. I think that'll be my go-to perk from now on. Coffee rapidly loses its appeal after the first couple of mouthfuls anyway. Tongue
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »

Smiley  thumbsup

Talen

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 07:35:27 PM »

Hi Jayne73,

Just an update.  I have had more energy this week with reduced pain (best I have been in the last 9 months).  I have read that many people take Alpha Lipoic Acid along with their L-Carnitine so I am going to try it.

Anne56

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:03:43 PM »

I've been taking coq10, acetyl l creatinine and lipoic  acid for about two months now and gave noticed no difference in my symptoms. I'll try it for another month and then will stop if themes no change. Then im just sticking to the basics. I'm so fed up of trying different supplements and spending money on things that don't help.  38
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »

Hi Anne,

I'm with you on that. Three months is a good trial period. If there are no improvements by then, you probably don't need them.

Talen

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 09:42:11 PM »

Same here. Been taking L-carnitine and ALA since March with no effects so stopped it last week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome