November 22, 2017, 05:32:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Finding My Baseline  (Read 773 times)
rosyposy

« on: June 15, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »

I've read through the stickys and some of the old threads in this section, but I was wondering, does anyone have any tips on the best way to work out what my own baseline is? It seems like that's the most sensible first step to effective pacing, but I'm not entirely certain of exactly how to go about it. Thank you!
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:20:18 PM »

It's tedious, Rose, but the only way I know of is to do next to nothing until you feel reasonably okay. Then VERY SLOWLY add things, both physically and mentally until you feel not so okay, bearing in mind that symptoms often don't show up until a day or two AFTER you've crossed your line. That's you're starting point. Like I said, tedious, and lots of trial and error is involved. Maybe someone will come up with a better approach. Are you out there 'someone'?

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:57:53 PM »

Dr Myhills strategy is this :
Your base line is 80% of what you can achieve without symptoms....
rosyposy

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 02:03:36 PM »

Neptuno, thank you. That seems like good advice once one has worked out what one can actually manage without symptoms...!

Roger, thank you. That seems like good advice... currently guilt at not helping out around the house is stopping me from doing this properly! (my sister also has ME/CFS, and much worse than I do, so if I did nothing everything would fall on our mum... sigh!). Here's hoping for 'someone'!  smile

(sorry it took me like a month to respond to your replies...)
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »

Hi Rose,

You have to be selfish, but if a sibling is in a worse place than you are, I can see why that's very difficult. Don't really know what to suggest other than many things we do to look after a house aren't essential, so maybe it's time to become a bit of a scruff?

rosyposy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »

You're right, Roger... My sister is currently being assessed by our new council (we recently moved house) for care and adaptations, so once she gets money to pay for care and actually gets the care, mum will have to do less for her, so I was thinking I might give it a really proper try then. I think I am starting to get my head round stuff a bit though, and I am definitely doing a lot less than I was just a few months ago!
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »

I really do hope that works out for you, Rose, because dealing with 'life pressures' and the stress they produce aren't ideal when you're trying to get well.

Good luck  fingerscrossed

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome