September 21, 2017, 05:31:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Interesting - common knowledge to some, but not to all  (Read 420 times)
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« on: June 24, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »

Just over a year ago, the UK's National Obesity Forum and Public Health Collaboration issued a report that caused uproar in the medical community.1 They dared to suggest, as the Real Diabetes Truth has always maintained, that official dietary guidelines are wrong and do more harm than good, especially when it comes to the consumption of saturated fat.

The report pointed out that, in the last 30 years, things have gone catastrophically wrong in terms of public health. Poor diet contributes to more disease and death globally than smoking, alcohol and physical inactivity combined. And poor dietary advice especially the "low fat" and "lower cholesterol" messages have had unintended but disastrous health consequences.

The report's main recommendations for change included several points that the Real Diabetes Truth has argued for over the last four-and-a-half years:
   Eating fat does not make you fat
   Saturated fat does not cause heart disease
   Limit starchy and refined carbs to prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes
   The optimum added sugar consumption for health is ZERO
   Industrial omega-6 oils (e.g. sunflower and corn oils) should be avoided
   Stop counting calories
   You cannot outrun a bad diet

These statements reflect mounting evidence against the low fat message and, predictably, they have polarised scientific opinion. Those at the forefront of nutritional research have welcomed them wholeheartedly like Professor Robert Lustig, President of the University of California's Institute of Responsible Nutrition, and Professor Iain Broom, Director of Aberdeen University's Centre for Obesity Research and Epidemiology.

On the other hand, the reaction from the "establishment" such as the NHS, Public Health England and the British Heart Foundation has been to rubbish the report. Ironically, they claim its recommendations are irresponsible, not based on sound science and likely to have adverse public health consequences. That describes perfectly the disastrous low-fat, high-carb advice that they've been feeding us for the last 40 years!

When long-held convictions are challenged, denial is a natural response. Particularly when those convictions are linked to massive commercial interests. As the report pointed out, the majority of the group set up by Public Health England to provide advice on healthy eating are paid by the food and drink industry!

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »

The establishment know this too well....but prefer to call it a metabolic disease and treat it with even stronger drugs
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »

......thus enhancing the bottom line  smile

We really do need to learn and understand that the prime objective of the food and drug industry is to benefit its shareholders. Benefits to consumers is extremely secondary.

adambeyoncelowe

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »

I've had so much abuse and 'YOU'RE WRONG!' comments when I've told people I do the ketogenic diet. They go on about, 'Well, cavemen wouldn't have eaten three times a day, and they wouldn't have eaten this, and they wouldn't have eaten that, and you should hunt and kill your own food,' despite how many times I tell them the 'paleo'/'caveman diet' label is a tabloid-friendly misnomer and it's nothing to do with being more like Fred Flintstone.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »

Telling the truth when truth conflicts with conventional wisdom always attracts abuse I'm afraid whether to do with diet or anything else. But in the end, I think truth outs.

adambeyoncelowe

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »

Well, I've been doing keto for a while now and definitely don't miss the intense carb crashes I used so get, which made many of my other symptoms much worse. I'm generally feeling much better. I've lost some water weight but mostly the benefits are in my energy levels.

I've looked online, and there doesn't seem to be much risk of continuing the diet long-term, except for a risk of ketoacidosis. But I'm guessing that's for people with type 1 diabetes and other illnesses?
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:18:55 AM »

A keto diet is brilliant for some people, but it doesn't suit everyone. For those it does suit I know of no reason not to continue with it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome