December 16, 2017, 07:24:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I.v. fluids  (Read 916 times)
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« on: June 30, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »

I'm probably the only person who is so glad to have our normal rubbish British summer return ! I suffered badly in the heat, then had a bout of I.b.s. and became dehydrated due to ongoing dysphagia.  I seem to have some gut and absorption issues and find that iv fluids pumps up the blood volume sufficiently to rehydrate and prevent a relapse of me symptoms. The medical profession generally rubbish this as a placebo effect but I strongly disagree.

Is there any research or anecdotal evidence that this is beneficial to me/CFS sufferers as a short term/ temporary stop gap treatment to allow the gut and the body to "rest". 

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »

Iím afraid I canít point you to any research, nep, but this is a case of Ďthe bleediní obviousí and the medical profession should be ashamed of themselves. There is NO DOUBT that cases of malabsorption via the digestive tract are far from uncommon. So it stands to reason that nutrients in fluids via IV (and in some cases via the skin or membranes in the mouth, for example) will at least to some extent compensate for that. But of cause much of the medical profession believe that ANYTHING that helps a CFSer is down to placebo because CFS is all in the mind anyway!!!!

NOTE Ė whenever I have a go at the medical profession, I feel I should mention that I think their emergency services and acute care are pretty damn good.

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Lordbark

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »

Hi neptuno,

I don't know if this helps but when you mentioned the iv fluids that reminded me as I've also had a time earlier this year when I ended up down at my local A&E with severe headaches after having a pretty bad run of IBS attacks and they said in the end I was actually dehydrated so I was in their observation area of A&E overnight hooked up to some iv fluids as well as a pain relief drip of liquid paracetamol. Although they did do other tests in case my other medical issue's were playing up so they were just needing to be thorough while also treating my pain and dehydration. I suspect they thought I was also getting a problem with migraine headaches judging by the line 'Bed 12 has a migraine' or words to that effect. Since I was actually in bed 12 they must have been referring to me.

So I don't know if things like this can be common for people with CFS or if it's just a thing anyone can have but I thought I would share it in case it was relevant. As for letting the gut rest I've found the thing that sometimes works for me is a cheese pizza as at least that slows down the gut enough to let me get some rest. Although sometimes even this can backfire on me & send me off to fight the IBS again.

I do hope you are ok?

Good thoughts heading your way.

Best wishes

Lordbark.  smile
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 07:08:16 AM »

Hello Neptuno
I have only just caught up with your post here. I have come across the issue of IV fluids especially being useful for those with POTS which many with ME/CFS have. I suspect that you have this alongside your ME/CFS but perhaps have not been diagnosed with it but I know your issues are not quite this.

Here is some recent research on it
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Blair_Grubb/publication/313506555_Effects_of_intermittent_intravenous_saline_infusions_in_patients_with_medication-refractory_postural_tachycardia_syndrome/links/58a3b1b7a6fdcc05f16693bb/Effects-of-intermittent-intravenous-saline-infusions-in-patients-with-medication-refractory-postural-tachycardia-syndrome.pdf

I think this is the same study here but a really good commentary on it by Cort Johnson who writes on ME/CFS issues
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/04/15/saline-pots-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/   with some useful comments underneath.

Here is a uk blog with a study mentioned on it
http://potsgrrl.blogspot.co.uk/p/in-support-of-iv-saline-therapy-for.html

I think EhlersDanlos people get these kinds of issues in particular too. I have forgotten if you have hypermobility? It's worth having that diagnosed as there is a high level link with people with ME/CFS.

There is mention of people drinking water with salt on here. Also consider using compression socks/stockings (I use these actually).

neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:52:49 PM »

Thank you for info, as always Aggie x
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome