August 21, 2017, 08:17:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A question for any members from Scotland  (Read 290 times)
Lordbark

« on: July 31, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »

Hello everyone,

First of all let me make a huge apology for being away from the forums here for well over a year if not longer. This hasn't been intentional it's just been a combination of things going wrong with everything from health, House moves to Internet change overs etc.

But one bit of news is I finally got myself to re-check those groin pains with the doctors here at the out of hours and after they referred me the same night next door to the surgical assessment unit and after much pain getting pocked, prodded etc along with extra appointments for an ultrasound with then another appointment for an MRI scan they were able to tell me their is no hernia although that's where things fizzled out as I should have had an appointment for the pain management clinic and not heard anything yet and the pain is still going and disrupting sleep etc.

Now I hope you don't mind me asking you all a question as I don't know if we have members here from Scotland? But due to the fact it's not just me having trouble getting help from the local hospital & GP etc we've been told by my cousin that she is very happy with the health service in Scotland so Dad and I are wondering about moving up there ourselves at some point?

Now my main thing is do any of our members from Scotland have any areas they would recommend us to look at? With the area being so vast it's hard to pick any areas without local knowledge. but our main criteria would be access to a good A&E as well as access to a Neurosurgical hospital as well as the obvious like good doctors & transport links etc.

Of course we would be being careful to go for safe areas but I'm not sure where would be safe & where wouldn't be? 

I'm kind of feeling guilty asking this since I've not been here for such a long time. I just wish my body had let me be here more often instead of making me sleep whenever it's decided to crash out on me as that seems to be more frequent these last few months. Since my body has decided it wants me to do lots of this:  bedtime2 bedtime2

But if anyone has any words of wisdom to my Scottish areas question that would really help. As maybe moving up there would give Dad & I access to a better doctors system for both of us to manage our health.   
Sorry again guys.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts & to my being here a bit more often.

Best wishes

Lordbark  smile

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »

Hello again Lordbark. I am sorry I cannot help you with the Scotland issue as I live about as far from Scotland as you can (far west of Cornwall) but I remember you from before and wanted to welcome you back.

Roger is starting some posts about improving health - maybe that will have something useful for you, if not specifically Scottish based. I hope someone from Scotland will post for you soon.  smile

Lordbark

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:52:05 PM »

Hi agapanthus,

Thank you so much for your warm welcome back to the forum. I really appreciate you've taken the time to post for me considering the fact I'm been away so long. I will definitely have a look at Roger's posts you've mentioned. Thanks for your help on my Scottish query.  Although Cornwall is nice too although I've never been down to visit there my Dad did before I was born. the closest I've done was sitting on the computer and having a look via Google's street view camera.

That being said I've never been to Scotland either and there is only so much I can learn about an area I've never been without asking someone who lives there.

But honestly agapanthus a big thank you from me for your kind & warm welcome back to the forums smile 

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »

And welcome back from me, too, Lordbank, but sorry, I'm not in Scotland either. Fingers crossed that someone here will be and be able to help  fingerscrossed

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Lordbark

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »

Hi Roger,

I just wanted to thank you for your warm welcome back to the forums. I had wanted to come back here and say thank you but my body has been crashing out on me again with a combination of IBS & chest pains so I seem to have been needing extra sleep to try and let the body repair itself.

I do hope you are ok and thank you again for your kind words Roger they really are appreciated.

I've not really made any progress on the Scotland thoughts myself either at the moment. But our boxes are arriving tomorrow so they will be available when it gets to the time of packing once Dad & I need to start doing that later in the year.
CeeDee

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:43:05 PM »

Hi Lordbark, welcome back.
The main Neurosurgical hospital in Scotland is officially called the Queen Elizabeth in Glasgow I think. The hospital has recently been very extensively revamped and added to. It was previously called the Southern General, and most of the locals continue to call it that despite the name change. As the old name would suggest it is on the South Side of Glasgow just passed Govan.
However, it is very hard to advise someone else where they should live, as a lot depends on personal preference for e.g., countryside, seaside, suburbs, town, city; whether they drive or depend on public transport etc. I live in quite a rural area, and while there are many benefits to that, because I don't drive I do feel that it compounds the limitations of my illness more than if I lived somewhere more central - on the other hand, there is relatively clean air, and quiet peaceful nights. If you are able, I suggest you and your father take a little trip north, see a few places and see if anywhere particularly appeals, and then make more specific inquiries. As I'm sure is the case elsewhere, there are good an bad areas throughout the country, sometimes only a few streets apart!
Good luck!
Lordbark

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 11:39:35 PM »

Hi CeeDee,

Thank you so much for your warm welcome back to the forums & for your kind words in regards to Scotland too.  It's good to know about the Queen Elizabeth Hospital too especially with it recently being revamped & added to. I think to be honest our preference wouldn't be wanting to be out in the Countryside as we don't drive and have to rely both on public transport as well as frequent taxi's. We lived in Rural/Coastal wales once and while that was pretty peaceful what wasn't so good was the lack of public transport (Apart from the semi-decent trains.) plus the costs of taxi's was steep to get to doctors & A&E etc.

So I think we would be looking at something along the lines of suburbs or a small town as long as it's got access to a good hospital with an A&E as well as the other basics like a good train service as well as a reasonable taxi option for travel when needed for local rides to shops etc or to connect with trains etc.

I have started looking at some of the local adverts for rentals up in Scotland to get general ideas and then look at the local news for that area as one advert for a house rental in Irvine kind of put me off a particular street due to the crime on that particular housing area but like you said there is good & bad in any areas. Even where we are now is nowhere near perfect not when we get noise, Anti-social behaviour or someone deciding to throw up in in our wheelie bin due to the lack of alley gates since the council said they don't have money in the budget to add extra gates to area without them.

Lucky for us we do have my cousin who has been living in Scotland for a while now and has said she would be able to advice on areas as well so when we start looking once we've done some saving over the next few months as it will be a longish time before we are ready to move from here anyway. So that gives extra time for research.

Doing a trip up to Scotland to have a look at some areas sounds like a good plan and I think we would be making sure to do some pretty careful checks before we took on something we later regret. the only thing that would stop us doing too many trips for house viewings would be any health flair up's & costs of train fares although as long as I keep my rail card alive that should help minimise the cost a little bit.

When you mention Glasgow is that somewhere you've had experience of? Is Glasgow classed as a rough or dangerous place? Or just as safe/dangerous as any other large city?

I can understand how your location can make things worse for health and limit things as it did that to me in Wales if I wanted to do anything even if I felt well enough it kind of too expensive both in cash terms and health energy etc. Plus the fact it was easy for mice to get into the Bungalow didn't help either. Well that and the high winds leading to power cuts etc.

Sorry CeeDee, I've rambled on a bit here in my reply and I hope it's making some sense as my pain levels are going up again at the moment.

But honestly a big thank you for your reply and kind helpful words of advice too as they really have helped me.

Thanks again & I will try and post again when I get a bit further on with things.

Best wishes

Lordbark  smile     
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome