December 16, 2017, 07:22:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Physical - Diet - Two simple ways to get super nutrition  (Read 939 times)
roger
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« on: August 11, 2017, 05:35:12 AM »

Please note - before reading this thread and any that might follow, it's important to read the introduction thread because this will give you an indication as to whether or not this board might be of value to you.

When I wrote the original diet thread, I was conscious of the fact that for many with chronic imbalances, achieving a perfect or near perfect diet regime isn’t really practical for several valid reasons, including feeling dreadful while trying to manage a household and having limited funds due to being unable to work. So, when that’s the case, are there any ways to dramatically increase nutrient intake which, if the cost of a couple of pieces of equipment is affordable, are economical to do? Well there are two that I think are excellent, and they’re what I’ll talk about here.

SPROUTING

A broccoli seed is smaller than a pinhead, yet given nothing more than water, it can rapidly become a large broccoli head, and we all know how good broccoli is from a nutrient point of view. So how does it do that? That pinhead size seed is packed with a huge number and variety of nutrients, so much so, that one handful of the sprouts has around ninety, yes ninety, times more nutrient value than a whole fully matured broccoli head, and who’s ever eaten a whole broccoli head!

How can that be? Well by the time a broccoli seed has matured into a broccoli head, most of its nutrients have been exhausted. But when we eat the very young sprouts, most of them remain – don’t worry, I’ve used broccoli as an example, and sprouting isn’t all about broccoli!

So, how do you go about sprouting? There are all manner of sprouting methods, the equipment for some of which are ridiculously expensive, but you can provide enough sprouts for a week for one person from two jars. You can even use large jam jars, but draining can be a problem, as can getting the right number of drain holes in the jar’s lid. For that reason, I’d suggest a small outlay on a pair of these. That is the total cost of your equipment.

Seeds can be organic or inorganic, and the difference in price really isn’t significant, so I’d go with organic. There are dozens of seed possibilities, but to keep things simple, I’d suggest starting with these and these – the broccoli looks expensive but the sprouts are the most nutritious of all sprouts, and a box lasts for ages.

So what’s the methodology? First, keep in mind that the Andante – a mix of mung, alfalfa and radish – takes around five days to mature, and the broccoli takes around six to seven days.

Day 1 – fill a jar about a third full of water and add a desert spoon of broccoli seeds. Cover to keep the light out for around eight hours. Rinse and drain then cover again for fifteen to sixteen hours. Rinse and put the uncovered jar in a light place – a window sill is ideal.

Day 2 – Still with the broccoli seeds, rinse and drain twice a day.

Day 3 – As day 2

Day 4 – Start the same process with the Andante seeds

From then on, rinse and drain twice a day until maturity. After a couple of days, stir both jars with a fork to prevent clumping at each rinse stage. Hulls and seeds that haven’t taken will come to the top, run a slow tap into the jars and these waste products will overflow into your kitchen bowl. When the jars are tightly full of sprouts, remove and put in a sealed container in the fridge. They’ll keep for about four days.

From then on, keep repeating the process. It may sound a bit complicated but it really isn’t. With a bit of practice you’ll be fine, but if you have any issues, I’ll be pleased to help. Just one point – after three or four days, the broccoli sprouts will show what looks like a white fungus, but it isn’t fungus, and will wash away with the rinsing.

SMOOTHIES

When I first started making smoothies, the only equipment that made a decent one was a Vitamix that costs from around £400 to £700, depending on the model. These are amazing machines and I still use mine for making nut milk and lemon juice amongst other things. But times have moved on. NutriBullet were first on the scene with a model that worked really well, but others have followed. I’ve tried a few, having bought them for family members, and the main thing I’ve noticed is that the 900W ones are the most efficient, and prices have come down substantially. I’m currently using This one and, purely as a smoothie maker, I’m quite happy with it – it’s easy to use and equally easy to clean. NutriBullet have several 900w models, and I’m sure they’re very good, but they’re much more expensive.

The major benefit of smoothies is that all the nutrients are retained but in a very digestible way, meaning that the nutrients are easily absorbed, so they’re especially good if you have gut issues. Regarding ingredients, well as long as you’re using REAL fruit and veg, with a wide range of colours – different colours have different nutrients, and a good range of nutrients is what’s required by our bodies  – that’s fine. I suspect that green vegetables, especially the cruciferous variety, are the most beneficial, but if you make a smoothie containing them alone, you won’t like the taste, and if you don’t like the taste, you’ll stop making smoothies. So mixing and matching is a good game plan. Spinach and kale make good bases and are reasonably palatable, at least they are to my taste buds.

Personally, I alternate between a red and a green smoothie. For the red, I use beetroot powder as a base and a mix of an assortment of frozen berries as fruit. For the green, there are loads of green powders that make a good base, but most of them taste dreadful, but this one doesn’t, in fact it tastes quite nice and contains a good ingredient mix. To this I add spinach, a SMALL piece of broccoli, a carrot and an apple. The trick though is to experiment and use the ingredients that YOU enjoy.

A good tip is to buy your ingredients when they’re reduced in price because they’re on their sell by date then freeze them straight away – they’ll keep in the freezer for several weeks. Over time, this can save you a lot of money. 

So there we have it, but please understand that I’m not suggesting that either or both of these options are a substitute for a good diet, but if your diet is not a rubbish one but is less than perfect, they can go a very long way towards augmenting it in a very beneficial way. So, I’d urge you to give one or both of these options a try – easy to do, reasonable cost, and hugely beneficial.

Please post for discussion, questions, or arguments. 

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »

OK. I'm a total numpty.... but I have got a nutribullet that I've not yet used.
I'd be grateful for a couple of VERY easy smoothie recipes- they need to be yogurt-thick consistency.
Any ideas folks ?
roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »

An all-rounder –

The amount of water advised by NuriBullet
A hand full of spinach - washed if not organic
A hand full of mixed berries washed well if not organic
A carrot - peeled if not organic
An apple ( not a huge one) – peeled if not organic
As much PLAIN organic yoghurt, like Yeo Valley as you need to get the consistency you want. But don't complain if the Nutri motor groans  smile

Optional – I put a teaspoon of all these in every smoothie I make

Lucuma
Slippery elm bark
Pea protein – this tends to thicken the smoothie, though that’s not why I use it

treepixie

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »

Banana and spinach smoothie

Unsweetened almond milk, I use the one by rude health roughly 1/2 pint
I banana
Good handful of spinach

I also add wheatgrass powder, did try spiralina but didn't help with my Ibs

I use this smoothie maker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Blend-Active-Pro-Blender-300/dp/B00YCATE9C/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen-appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1502453105&sr=1-8&keywords=smoothie+maker

roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »

Hi TP, thanks for posting - if this board is going to continue we need a lot more people to do likewise!

Your smoothie maker interests me - I'd have dismissed on the basis of its 300w motor, but it's clearly working for you, so at that price, it must be worth considering. Thanks for giving members the head's up.

treepixie

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »

It also has no problem with frozen fruits
roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »

I'm amazed, but delighted  thumbsup

neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:36:33 PM »

Thank you !! Keep the suggestions coming !  Kiss
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »

I find adding avocado is useful for getting a thicker consistency. Nuts help too. I have a Vitamix and have been doing smoothies now for over 5 years.

I have to admit I am a 'throw everything into the smoothie bar the kitchen sink' person so my smoothies have a lot of variety in them! For example today I did one for breakfast and it had lettuce, cucumber, yogurt, avocado, carrot, apple, ginger, some seeds and nuts, and would have had beetroot in it, if I hadn't had to go out in the garden in the rain and pull them up. The beetroot adds a lovely colour if you don't have dark fruit. Oh and a couple of plums from the tree in our garden. Water of course..... I meant to add in my collagen powder but I forgot.....

I personally think you should go heavier on the veg than the fruit, bearing in mind that the sugar in the fruit can then go into your blood stream too fast and raise blood sugar higher. Also people with underactive thyroid should maybe be cautious about some things like kale and spinach going in raw as they have goitrogens which slow down the thyroid function. That's why I use lettuce as I think that's OK.

roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »

Hi Aggie, thanks for posting.

Yes, I’m a huge Vitamix fan and they’ll handle anything – your recipe sounds very adventurous  smile

Conceptually, I agree re veg/fruit, but it’s not easy for many to handle the taste of ‘heavy veg’ smoothies, and they can get put off using the smoothie maker. The sugar is a big issue with juice, but as long as the individual’s blood sugar control is good, a whole fruit, or mainly fruit smoothie doesn’t worry me much, and if the fruit is mainly berries, apples or pears, it doesn’t worry me at all. But bananas and pineapple are more of a concern.

Talen

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »

Interesting thread.  Thanks for the smoothie maker link Roger.  I am going to try replacing breakfast and lunch with a smoothie then a cooked meal in the evening.  I need to lose 30kg (weight I have put on with this illness).
roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 06:57:37 AM »

Hi Talen,

Re weight loss, most people still think that fat makes you overweight, and that’s wrong, though transfats in processed foods are a very bad idea. It’s sugar and carbs that turn to sugar that cause weight gain, so on the smoothie front, I’d try to limit fruits and concentrate on veg. If you cut carbs to an absolute minimum, weight loss is almost inevitable. When you do eat carbs, white kidney bean extract supplements slow  sugar absorption – but using these supplements aren’t a good excuse to eat MORE carbs!

Good luck.  fingerscrossed

neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

s_hi Talen ! That's you and me both starting the smoothie regime (in my case I'm grappling with the machine)
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »

Re the contents of the smoothie - another idea is to add fresh ginger. I really like the flavour and it's good for the gut.

I don't have a smoothie every day now, but today I did one (I have a cold and felt like it) and I was able to add in 4 items grown from my own garden (plum, cucumber, carrot and beetroot).

roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »

Great point re the ginger, Aggle. I put in my morning lemon juice, which is the only juice I make.

Hope you get rid of the cold quickly!  fingerscrossed

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »

Thanks Roger.  I put ginger in lots of things over the day including my herbal tea.  sipping tea

Well I am on the Oil of Oregano under the tongue and nasal washout with Neti pot regime.... not a lot more I can do than what I am doing I think. Not a bad cold re snot, but feel zapped.

roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »

Maybe a scoop of Vit C every hour until you reach bowel tolerance?

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »

Maybe.

neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »

Me too Aggie 🤧
How does this Neti pot work then ?
roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »

Maybe.

Do I detect a, 'or maybe not' there?  smile

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »

Sorry Nep to hear you too have the lurgy. Mine is just settling into one of those cold type viruses that never come out, but make me feel rotten and go on for days. All part of the mix of this illness it seems. Got better last 2 years and now back to square one it feels like....

I think Neti pots are ayurvedic - at any rate I got mine in an Indian shop in Penzance. Little china pot looks like Aladdin's lamp in miniature. Mine is white china. You fill it with warm water and stick the spout up one nostril tipping your head sideways while you do it and all the water should just run out into the sink. Then do the other side. I give a quick blow when I have taken spout out. I put a few drops of Oil of Oregano into it and stir round before I do the exercise. I have no idea if it helps but it feels as if it does!

I also put O of O under my tongue - a couple of drops, then hold for as long as I can, and then take a gulp of water. I do that frequently when a cold is looming or if it comes out.

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »

Er yes, Roger I think you do. I have tried in the past and it seems to do nothing for me. Not sure I want my bowel under stress anyway for reasons I won't expand on in this thread! It gets enough of that from the magnesium I take.

roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »

Then you weren't consistent with the 'hourly' thing or you didn't do it for long enough, or you needed more per hour because it does work. But hey, the oregano and neti-pot are good ideas and I take your point re the colon issue  smile

Fingers crossed that it won't last too long  fingerscrossed

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »

Thank you!  wave

treepixie

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 08:14:09 PM »

Another one I like is

Orange juice
Carrot juice
2 bananas
Handful Pineapple fresh or frozen
And about a thumb nail size piece of fresh ginger

Innocent do a Orange and carrot mix which works out cheaper than buying them separately
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome