October 18, 2017, 01:01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: LDN and inosine  (Read 209 times)
adambeyoncelowe

« on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »

Hi all,

I'm currently trying low-dose naltrexone, which seems to be working for pain especially, and I saw a few people online using it with over-the-counter inosine. I was using inosine before, and I think it helped, so my question is: is it okay to take them both together? I've looked but can't see much official guidance either way. Inosine mainly works on ATP but has some immune modulating benefits. LDN modulates the immune system by reducing inflammation via, we think, endorphins. I've had a few flares of viral symptoms since starting the LDN, which I attribute to a herxheimer reaction, and I've been getting migraines occasionally too. I'm just wondering if the inosine will mean I can lower my dose of LDN a tad.
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »

Hello Adam
I am afraid I cannot really answer your question. I have actually used Inosine (Pranobex) some years ago, on prescription - I was not aware that it could be bought over the counter? is that in the UK? I was actually allowed a prescription by an ME consultant but he was on the point of retiring so I only got the one. Ironically I had a virus about 6 weeks in to using it, and ended up with vertigo and as I hadn't ever had it before, I didn't know if it was a side effect so stopped using it. I would have liked to try it again, but by then he had left, and I had moved on to trying something else.

I did also use LDN for quite a long time initially, but as I could not tolerate it internally (I have a gut disorder which gives severe pain with certain foods and drugs, and this was one), I used a cream that was sold by the Scottish pharmacy. I think it did make some difference especially re low mood and was on it for a year, but then someone who knew about LDN said that by using the cream it wasn't working in the correct way as it's supposed to work briefly and not continuously for the right effect and there did not seem an easy way to reproduce that with the cream. 

I came off and then went back on it and tried the oral sort again, including one under the tongue but had some ghastly side effects even with a tiny dose, including the severe stomach pain and also neurological ones which were even worse, plus migraine, so I gave it up as a bad job. Most people start on a very low dose of LDN - as low as 0.5 ml I seem to recall. what dose are you on?

adambeyoncelowe

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »

I'm okay at 1.5mg. Beyond this, I seem to get the herxheimer reaction. That's probably a good thing though, as other have said it's how they cleared lingering viruses.

Inosine is an over the counter supplement, and only comprises about 25% of inosine pranobex. It's got ATP and possibly immune benefits, but isn't as powerful as the prescription stuff, which is trademarked as Imunovir.
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »

Oh right well 1.5 seems a reasonable dose. I once read that more with LDN isn't necessarily better.

Thanks re the Inosine - I didn't realise it was something different. Yes, it was Immunovir that I had. I will look into the Inosine though! My immune system is not great right now and could do with something.

adambeyoncelowe

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »

Just to say, the inosine is okay, but proper inosine pranobex is miles better. You can get it over the counter in France and Eastern Europe as tablets or syrup. It's made a huge difference to my chestiness (my asthma has been terrible for about a year now). In conjunction with LDN, I feel a million times better.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »

Great to hear that you're feeling so much better, Adam  thumbsup  smile

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »

Thanks Adam. Good to hear that the 2 have made such a difference to you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:07:20 PM by roger » Logged

adambeyoncelowe

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »

One side-effect I have noticed: inosine pranobex increases liver enzymes, so my doctor had a mini freakout when I jumped from 50 to 103 for my ATL measure. I had an ultrasound, and everything is fine. I suspect my ATL will drop again if I stop taking the inosine pranobex, so I'm taking a break to see what happens.

Another ocassional side-effect with the inosine pranobex is that it reduces my hunger quite a bit. Sort of like when you're coming down with a fever. I suspect this happens because my immune system is waking up and getting rid of whatever's lurking in my system. This passes after a few days again, though, so it's not probably not a reliable weight-loss tool. Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome