November 24, 2017, 06:06:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Diet - Water - What you drink matters part 2  (Read 264 times)
roger
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« on: August 15, 2017, 07:46:48 AM »

NOTE – please read the thread ‘Physical – Water part 1’ before reading this thread.

Some useful ways to remove toxins from your drinking water -

1. Boiling your water for around twenty minutes then cooling and drinking dissipates much of the chlorine, but little if anything else. This method is inconvenient and not very efficacious, but it’s cheap and it’s better than doing nothing.

2. Adding a pinch of vitamin C to a glass of water will neutralise much of the chlorine whilst providing a useful antioxidant dose to your diet – cheap ascorbic acid is fine if acid doesn’t upset your stomach. If it does, use sodium ascorbate.

3. Jug filters – these do pretty much and perhaps a little more than boiling does and are much more convenient. The jugs are quite cheap to buy, but on going, filter replacement is a cost that doesn’t apply to boiling, though the filters aren’t overly expensive. So, a slightly better option than boiling but a bit more expensive.

4. Whole house filters like reverse osmosis systems for example - these will get your water pretty much as clean as it can be, and your bath/shower water will also be clean, but they’re very expensive to buy and install. Also, regular filter changes are required because there have been many reports of bacteria infestation in them, and like the system itself, they’re expensive. So, okay but with serious long term cost reservations.

5. Water distillers – I had one of these before I bought what I have now. There are plenty of cheap, nasty ones about, but a good quality one will cost close to £200. They do need a regular carbon filter change, but these are very cheap. They produce totally pure water. So why did I get rid of mine – a) the process is very slow   b) cleaning is a faff   c) the water is pure but it’s also dead - I added salts and minerals to mine, but getting the quantities right is a pain. Many people highly recommend these but I don’t.

6. There are numerous pretty good standalone systems available from around £200 upwards, but after a great deal of research, I settled on The Berkey Filter System, and two years on, I’m delighted that I did. This system removes the vast majority of everything you don’t want whilst leaving what you do want in place. Once set up, which takes about fifteen minutes, the only chores are to wash the bottom section out once a month, which takes about ten minutes, and to clean the filters about twice a year. The two main filters that come with the unit last about ten years assuming average usage. My water authority adds Fluoride (Grrrr) and if yours does, you need the extra fluoride filters – one attached to each of the two main filters, and these cost £60 for the pair and last for around eighteen months. There are several sizes of the main unit available and I chose the Big Berkey, which is suitable for two to three people and costs about £250. That sounds a lot, but if you need the fluoride filters, and assuming an 18 month life, which I’ve found to be about right, the total running cost is around 77p a week, and I rate that as being a bargain. If you don’t need the fluoride filters, the annual running cost is nil for around ten years, at which point replacement main filters will cost £90 at current prices, and these will cover you for the next ten years

Since buying the Big Berkey, I’ve been delighted to see that three people who I have great respect for  – scientist and researcher Chris Masterjohn, scientist and researcher Mike Adams and cancer survivor, researcher and lecturer on natural cancer treatments, Chris Wark – have all recommend Berkey as a first choice. You can see Chris Wark doing a quick demo here

So that’s my choice. Your choice is for you to decide, but I would urge you to do something to get the best benefit that you can afford from the one thing that you can’t live without for more than a few days – doing ‘something’, even the smallest ‘something’ has to be better than doing nothing!

One final point – unless you have guts of steel, drinking iced water is a bad idea because it ‘shocks’ your digestive system and disrupts the digestive process. Water is best drunk at room temperature.

Please feel free to respond to this post for discussion and argument or with any questions.

Footnote

It strikes me that I’ve just done some serious Berkey virtue extolling and that might raise perfectly reasonable suspicions regarding possible commercial interests. So I’d like to make it clear that other than as a customer, I have no relationship with either the manufacturer or the supplier and that, therefore, neither I nor the forum will gain any benefit, financial or otherwise, if any member of, or visitor to, this forum makes a purchase via the above link.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:49:43 AM by roger » Logged

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »

I've just come across this - http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/why-there-no-such-thing-safe-tap-water - It's about tap water in the USA, but we have the same issues here in the uk.

treepixie

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »

Intresting article, I never drink our tap water, it tastes really odd and has a chlorine smell to it, I use a water filter for the kettle and only drink bottled water.
roger
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »

Hi TP,

As mentioned in the TWO waster threads, bottled water is probably better than tap, but based on the research I've done, probably not by much. Over time, a really good water filter will work out cheaper than bottled water and is a much better option.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome