September 21, 2017, 05:36:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Snippets  (Read 217 times)
roger
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« on: August 29, 2017, 08:47:43 AM »

Please note - before reading this thread and any that might follow, it's important to read the introduction thread because this will give you an indication as to whether or not this board might be of value to you.

This is the twenty-third and final thread on this board, though I might add to this one from time to time if something comes to mind. It consists of a few snippets offered purely as food for thought, which can be expanded on via posts if you want them to be.

Sleep

Adequate sleep is essential, and I don’t believe that good health is achievable without it. But how much sleep do we need? Ask an ‘expert’ and he’ll tell you that if you don’t get seven to eight hours every night your head will explode or your leg will fall off. Well I’ve gone to bed nearly twenty six thousand times, and I can’t remember ever getting more than six hours, and my head and legs are still intact. I think what really matters is how you feel when you wake up. If you’re refreshed and ready for the new day, then I think you’ll be fine. But what if you wake up feeling knackered?

You’ll find all the standard advice all over the internet, so I won’t go into that. But I do have a few thoughts. Sleep is governed by hormones. Melatonin puts you to sleep and serotonin and GABA (when out of balance with glutamate in the brain) keep you asleep. So if you have trouble getting to sleep, maybe try a melatonin supplement, and if you wake up when you shouldn’t, maybe try serotonin, or its precursor 5-HTP, or PharmaGABA – please note that you’ll find GABA everywhere but in my experience it doesn’t help. You need PharmaGABA.

Having said all that, I find that, given time, a simple affirmation can work well. Every night without fail, just before sleep, whether I need to or not, I say, ‘tonight I’ll get the right sleep in terms of length, depth and quality to ensure all aspects of my being receive the rest, relaxation and rejuvenation they need to ensure continuing good health and wellbeing.’

Finally, I think the worst thing you can do if you can’t get to sleep or if you wake up in the early hours is to worry about it. So my advice would be don’t. Just accept the fact, relax as best you can and think nice thoughts, perhaps dwelling (in a good way) on ten things that you’re grateful for.

Purpose

For life to be really worthwhile, it needs a meaningful purpose, and having such a purpose is an incredibly powerful healer, physically, mentally and emotionally. Of course throughout life there will be many purposes – things you want to achieve – and you’ll succeed in some and fail in others, the failures being valuable because they’re what we learn from.

In the context of this board, the purpose is to correct imbalances and achieve good health and wellbeing. This board is about how I did that and I hope it has provided a few useful ideas. But at the end of the day, whether or not you get well depends on finding an approach that works for you. Whatever, wishing and hoping won’t help, but in my experience, belief and commitment will. Have a plan and execute it. When you achieve wellness, it’ll be time to find a new purpose because continually having a purpose is what life is or should be about.

Infections

The only things I have in my ‘medicine cupboard’ are colloidal silver, oregano oil, vitamin C, iodine and hydrogen peroxide. They’ve never let me down.

Salt

Salt is heavily demonised, and in the case of table salt and salt in processed food, quite rightly so because it’s poison – this is sodium chloride and it’s the chloride that’s harmful not the sodium. To replace it, try Himalayan salt, which has sodium but lots of other micro minerals too. Celtic sea salt is also good, as long as it’s grey, not white. But it’s no good for sprinkling on food.

Eggs

There are still ‘experts’ telling us that the cholesterol in eggs will give us heart disease. It won’t. They also tell us that the saturated fat in eggs will clog our arteries. It won’t. The reality is that eggs contain vitamins B, A, D, E and K. Additionally, they contain the minerals selenium, calcium, zinc and phosphorus, and one egg gives you about 6 grams of good quality protein. They also contain the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin. Additionally, eggs from pastured chickens, provide omega 3 fatty acids. If ever a single food could be described as super nutritious, that food would be eggs – ideally organic, but a least free range pastured.

Sex

Yes I know you feel crap and the notion of sex doesn’t excite you at the moment, but it doesn’t have to be swinging from the chandeliers stuff. It can be gentle and sensual and it has many health benefits. For example – it boosts the immune system, it reduces stress, it gets more blood to the brain thus increasing brainpower, even gentle sex is good exercise, it releases lots of good hormones including those that reduce pain, it improves sleep, it keeps you younger than you’d be without it – the list goes on. If you have a partner who knows your condition, maybe suggest getting back into the groove, but stress the need for ‘slow and gentle’. If you don’t have a partner, whatever the vicar told you, there’s no shame in ‘self sex’.

Another way to get super nutrition

Herb, spice, fruit and veg powders – www.indigo-herbs.co.uk are one good supplier I use and www.ancientpurity.com is another. Some you need to encapsulate, but others you can add to smoothies or just mix in water. They each provide their own nutrient benefits, though there are quite a few overlaps. Personally, I’ve replaced most of my supplements with these powders and although they may seem expensive, the reality is that they work out much cheaper than commercial supplements. For example, Moringa is a great all-rounder offering many health benefits and costs around twenty pounds for 500gms. That 500gms will fill around six hundred capsules. What half decent supplement can you buy for twenty pounds for 600 capsules? I could prattle on for ages about the benefits of various powders but I won’t. However, I’ll be happy to answer any questions.

Bad thought and memories

Your thoughts and memories are like a government to a community of 50 trillion cells. If these thoughts and memories are positive, this community is in growth mode, where everything is working as it was designed to do. But if your thoughts and memories are negative, the community goes into protection mode – nothing much is being done and there’s a state of stagnation.

We’ve all done bad things in the past and we’ve all had bad things done to us. But where’s the benefit in hanging on to those memories? There is no benefit. Forgive everyone involved, including yourself, and let the memories go. As for bad thoughts, change them, as discussed in a previous thread.

Turn that frown up-side-down

You’ve probably noticed that if something makes you smile, you feel a bit better while you’re smiling. Well there’s a fair bit of evidence that forcing a smile whether you want to or not can change your physiology in the same way that a natural smile does. So I reckon it’s worth doing.

Breathing

When you have a chronic imbalance, there’s a tendency for your autonomic nervous system to be out of whack, making you sympathetic (fight or flight) dominant. When this is the case, there’s a further tendency to develop over breathing (breathing too fast) or erratic breathing – sometimes this develops into unconscious breath holding, and this isn’t good because it disrupts your oxygen/CO2 balance, which in turn results in less oxygen getting to your cells.

At rest, you should be breathing no more (preferably less) than twelve times a minute – so each in/out breath should take five seconds or more, and I think it’s well worth checking your breathing rate. However, doing this yourself may give a false reading because you’ll probably consciously or subconsciously try to adjust to meet a target. Therefore, it’s best to ask someone else to check your resting breathing rate when you don’t know they’re doing it.

If you find that your breathing is out of whack – either too quick, erratic or stopping every now and then, you can correct this overtime with deep belly breathing exercises that really push your belly out. You’ll find lots of such exercises online, but I find that a count of five in and a count of seven out works well. It does take time to achieve this correction – possibly weeks. So don’t give up too soon.

You never know

Looking back, I think that getting the imbalance that lived with me for more than a decade was the best thing that ever happened to me because I like who I am far more than I did pre-imbalance. It forced me to travel along a huge learning curve and that journey has benefitted me tremendously. I’m telling you this because I’d like to ask you a favour. Next time you’re experiencing a real low and you’re having thoughts like, ‘I can’t stand this’ or ‘This is terrible’, try changing those thoughts to ‘You never know’, because you really don’t. Maybe you’re on a journey with a worthwhile destination.

Rebounding

With or without the thoughts and ideas as expressed on this board, my hope is that you’ll find your way to wellness, and when you do, you’ll need to think about regaining the physical fitness you lost during your period of imbalance. My suggestion for achieving that is rebounding. Why? Because it’s an exercise that works in so many ways and can be started very gently via what’s called ‘the health bounce’ where you just stand on the rebounder bouncing slowly without your feet leaving the surface. That alone gets your lymph system working again, which in turn stimulates your immune system. From there, you can gradually build intensity right up to a complete workout. In short, you can achieve a very high level of fitness without risking harm, all from one simple activity.

When the time for this arrives, rebounders are available all over the internet – get the best you can afford or consider a used one, which again can be found online.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:14:27 AM by roger » Logged

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
neptuno
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post these useful threads, which will be a useful resource for members who come back and read and re-read to absorb the info. We're all searching for best ways to manage during recovery, and you've been generous in sharing your journey.  Personally, I have been inspired to put some of these strategies into practice as best I can and am already reaping the benefits. This is the first feeling of progress in such a long time.

Kiss
roger
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 05:50:28 AM »

Thank you for that, Nep, and thank you for preventing me from getting out of control, which I was constantly in danger of doing while writing this board  Smiley

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome