November 21, 2018, 05:35:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Support group descriptors  (Read 607 times)
Tum Tum

« on: October 27, 2017, 05:35:22 AM »

I'm a bit puzzled by how the support and wrag group points are applied for esa   Do you have to get 15 points just on the one question or is it over several of them?

x

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:18 AM »

Hi TumTum
Support Group and WRAG are scored differently.

To get into the SG you only need to score ONE of a number of Support Group descriptors (many of these are the highest of all the descriptors, but not all). This link explains it.....
https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

OR 'Other claimants qualify because they are exempt or because they are covered by the exceptional circumstances rules, such as there being a danger to themselves or to other people if they were not placed in the support group.'
(it is getting harder but not impossible, to get into the SG via this rule, as the DWP have challenged this more by producing a list of things that a person could do to prepare themselves for work, which can vary depending on their disabilities).

To qualify for WRAG you have to score enough points overall (15) which can be a combination in all the descriptors (physical/ mental) or can just be a couple of descriptors (ie it doesn't matter how they are combined)

OR you may be covered by the exceptional circumstance rule which states that there may be a danger to yourself or others if you are not placed in that group (would be considered a danger to you or others if you were in the workplace).

Tum Tum

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:36:29 PM »

Can you get into the support group if you can do things once but not repeatedly, reliably or safely though?
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »

They are always supposed to bear in mind those words each time. If you look on each page of the form it actually now says 'Only answer Yes to the following questions, if you can do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard,
as often as you need to and in a reasonable length of time.'

Whether they DO always take it into account depends on the person who does the assessment though, and as we know, they are not always reasonable or fair. When i used to do the form I tended to beat them over the head with these words, by specifically mentioning them in my wording on the form. You could for example say - 'I cannot do this activity safely because........e.g. I fall, or some other reason' 'I cannot do this activity to an acceptable standard because.....(insert reason)' and/or 'I cannot do this activity in a reasonable length of time because e.g. it takes me X minutes to walk X metres. '

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome