November 21, 2018, 06:29:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jobs for sufferers  (Read 1027 times)
Sar-Lou90

« on: December 21, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »

Hi. I posted a week or so ago asking about flexible working hours within the workplace and seeking advice on what i can do to make my employers understand my needs. As i type this i am in agony just hitting the keys on my keyboard. I have tried and tried to push for flexible working from home hours or reduced hours.. I am getting no where other than risking my job. I love/d working for this company but the new powers that be have changed this place and they do not understand nor do they care about my condition/s. I am not essential in their eyes and if i keep pushing i feel i am likely to make more enemies here than friends. I am reluctantly realizing i need to look for something else. I cannot afford to take a pay cut (my salary is too low as it is for the job i do) and cutting hours would also cause me financial problems. I wanted to be able to work 2 days a week from home, but that was a resounding NO. So i guess what i am asking is, does anyone have any advice or recommendations on what kind of jobs are doable for people who suffer like we do. My GP's have said my condition has gotten significantly worse this year as my 2017 has been turbulent to say the least. I am based in North Devon, Barnstaple and i do not drive unfortunately. If anyone in my local area knows of anything suitable i would be grateful. I currently work in an office for a retail company and my role is demanding. I'm desperate to go into the New Year with a clearer picture of what i am going to do with work...

Report this
❤ 0
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »

Hello again. Did you see my last post on your other thread?

While I quite see your predicament, and it is certainly worth trying for other work, I don't really have the expertise to know what to suggest, especially with your transport issues. I am assuming that some people go in for self employment, but don't know enough about that to advise, and I am sure there are many pitfalls. Some kind of work from home with or without an employer seems the best option for you.

In your current situation, I don't think you have a lot to lose with regard to risking losing your job. Your employer cannot just dismiss you for asking for flexible working when you are clearly disabled.   

Did you see the links that I posted, especially with regard to contacting ACAS for advice?

By law they must consider your disability, and they must have some kind of Human Resources Dept who would know this law. As it is, if you keep pushing yourself in this way, then you may not have any choice about going off sick and you may become unable to function in the job. In that case the emmployer could try to get rid of you under capability procedure, so in my opinion it's better to be clear about your needs at the outset. Personally I would put it in writing to them and look up the Equality Act in the links I sent, but see what ACAS have to say first.

I have been in your situation in the past, and no, it's not pleasant, and I had to push for things which were difficult. On one occasion I took my manager to a grievance procedure for bullying and I then pushed for better consideration for my disabilities. It wasn't easy, and ultimately I did have a relapse after an eye operation and whooping cough and I went off long term sick, but if it hadn't been for that I would have remained there.

satmanbasil

Official CSF/ME Sufferer

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »

hi

I feel at one stage many of us here have been in your position. This illness eats away at your energy and no matter how much you try to combat the effects it will get the better of you one way or another, when after a number of years of having flu type symptoms and finding recovery taking longer and longer I had to face the decision you are now at.  First it was having phased return to work which didn't help as with this illness you cannot really plan weeks in advance so these phased returns started to fail which put more pressure on me trying to keep to the agreement made with my employer. In the end I had to accept with agreement with my employer that the sensible thing to do was to take redundancy with an agreed sum for the loss of earnings but of course I had to sign away any claims that the work which was demanding wasn't the source of the problem, think this was standard procedure by the company for no future claims I could make if laws changed that gave me a right to claim.
So now I don't have to worry and concentrate all my hours to maintain a lifestyle of sorts near to normal as can be.  There is some documents available that inform employers of this condition and the restrictions it has in the work place but in the end they can only work with them to a point due to how your illness progresses ( taking more and longer time to recover) so don't be surprised if you feel the exit door being left open more and more as time goes by, depending on how ill you feel in the end it maybe the best thing to leave as I was once told the "job" will always be around for someone to take on but you health wont allow it and at the end it should be about YOU and your health and how you can make good of this illness we suffer.
Anne56

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »

I completely agree satmanbasil. I was in the same predicament with my ex employer. They wouldn't give me flexible hours, just said I could apply for other positions. I finally had to accept that I couldn't cope with any work. I believe that it is only people with very mild ME who can cope with employment and they have to be careful not to overdo things.
Panscola

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:52:02 AM »

Your website is a very good site. Everyone greeted me very well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome