October 22, 2018, 09:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flu & reconditioning muscles  (Read 941 times)
Sesha3

« on: January 11, 2018, 03:02:45 PM »

Hi all, hope you're all doing okay-I know I've not been on the group here for a while. Just after some advice as always!

I've had flu for the last week after travelling back to the UK from New York (which was amazing btw & I coped really well out there doing lots of activities). I'm getting lots of rest, herbal teas, bone broth & soup & lots of ginger, lemon, onion & garlic & I'm taking oregano oil to kill the virus.

My question is this: do I need to be doing anything else to prevent the ME from getting worse?

I'm a bit worried the flu could set me back as it's really wiped me out & I was just beginning to build up a bit of strength & even a little bit of muscle tone in my legs after walking around New York. It seemed after I pushed through a certain point of pain my legs actually began to get stronger & I could walk faster & felt a bit more energy which was truly great. I really wanted to keep up the walking & gradually increase it when I got back but of course I can't right now.

So any advice on preventing worsening of the ME &/or healing quicker from flu greatly appreciated.

Also, what do people think about pushing through with the walking? I know we're always told not to push past our limits. I didn't really have a choice out there & I did sit down in bars/restaurants to rest my legs for a couple of hours (often after walking ages to find them). Sometimes the rest would ease the muscle stiffness & I would kind of 'unseize' but sometimes I could be fine when I sat down & then get up & be slightly seized up. However, overall, by the end of the holiday I felt stronger, found it easier to get up stairs, my breathlessness went away & I felt I had more energy to walk. This makes me wonder if it's more deconditioning that's had me almost housebound this past year rather than the actual ME. I still felt very fatigued out there but began to feel stronger. I did have days in the hotel room in between trips but nowhere near as many as I thought I'd need.

Thanks wonderful people for all your guidance & support ☺️

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:17:30 PM »

Hi Sesha,

it's good to hear you had a great time. I think you've done brilliantly well, but maybe all the activity slowed down your immunity a bit, hence the flu.

What you're taking/eating makes great sense and there's nothing additional apart from maintaining a good diet that I think you need to do. If your immunity is down, it'll recover via what you're doing.

Generally, other than slightly, it's not a good plan to push too hard, but hey, you had a great time and that's important. For the next few days I think it would be wise to ask yourself how you feel about half an hour after you get up, then act accordingly depending on what answer you get. If you feel you need rest, then take as much as you feel you need. If you're feeling okay, great, but don't go mad! After your holiday, your body WILL need some rest, so don't make its recovery harder than it need be.

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Sesha3

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:45:13 PM »

Thanks Roger

Yes I had a great time, boosted my confidence & felt like a real person again which makes it worth it! Was so good to see & talk to people other than my partner & my cat too!

I guess I'm just impatient to get better & continue building up my legs before they decondition again but I know you're right re doing it gradually & if I'm sick I know it's best to rest. At least I now feel motivated to actually take action! I also really want to see my new nephew who was born on Monday but not allowed near him with the flu & that is making me VERY impatient lol-I'm desperate to meet him & have been looking at all the photos of him with the rest of the family feeling jealous!

I've been taking bed rest the last few days just taking it easy when I do get up, reading my book. Hopefully I'll recover to the same level I was before.

Thanks for your advice ☺️
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »

Based on what you've just done without major malfunction, I'd say you're well on the way to 'being your old self', so I'd suggest changing 'hoping' to 'knowing'  smile

But - I blew it several times when I was well on the way, so do keep in mind the need to be a little bit careful!

Sesha3

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »

Thank you  thumbsup

& yes I KNOW I will recover to the same level & move gradually upwards from there!  Smiley
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »

thumbsup smile

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:01:35 PM »

Glad to hear that you had such a good time in the U.S. Sesha3

I do think that you should take extra care when you are ill with something like the flu, not to push yourself at such times and take it gently as you slowly recover. Flu can take a while to get back to previous levels so just listen to your body, as Roger has said.

I am on a bit of a low at the moment re my own health, but that's for various reasons that have built up over the year, and I am always at my worst in the winter with viruses (though not flu thankfully).

However, from my own experience, I too have often pushed it and got away with it, mostly through doing gardening. It works quite well usually in slowly building up strength as you have done, in the Spring and throughout the Summer. I too am hoping that I can get back to that stage again in a few months once i have got over a rash of viruses, and a major eye operation.

Sesha3

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:30:15 PM »

Thanks Agapanthus. Don't worry, I'm being good & taking it easy!  bedtime2 Starting to feel a bit better already!  86

Hope you feel better too & good luck with your eye op fingerscrossed
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »

That's good to know that you are feeling a bit better Sesha3! I think the winter months can be a real struggle for people with ME/CFS as it adds an extra burden with all the various bugs to combat.

On that score I feel pretty proud of myself this morning actually! I am part of a community dance/theatre group where all disabilities are supported and last night I took part in a performance with them. I have done it before, but not after an eye operation (I still have the gas bubble in my eye from the op which was only 6 weeks ago). I was also recovering from my latest virus and I was out of the house for 12 hours as we had to do a dress rehearsal first. I decided not to dance, for fear of falling, but did a few more stationary and gentle pieces, and also read the 3 poems I had written for the performance. Just woken up and so far don't feel too bad considering. I have to admit that I kept myself going with a lot of chocolate and sugar, but I don't normally eat like that, and it's better than pep pills which at times I felt I needed. Thankfully the adrenalin kicked in and I was OK while performing.

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »

Congrats on getting through those 12 hours, Aggie  smile

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »

Thanks Roger. Not feeling too bad this morning considering I was also recovering from a horrible virus that gave me sinus pain. I took my Oil of Oregano with me, but only remembered to take one dose during the day. I did however find some comfy seating in the theatre by a small cafe (this was a university theatre so fairly quite and low key) and lay myself down with blanket and MP3 player for half an hour pre performance!).

Sesha3

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »

Yes these bugs definitely don't help us! Sounds like you did really well at the theatre & it's good you're doing something you enjoy. I'm starting to feel quite a bit better now but still taking it easy with just a bit of pottering about & hopefully be visiting my new baby nephew soon. Hope you recover from everything soon too  smile
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »

Sounds like you do have the right approach there Sesha. Today I am pottering also.

It will be lovely for you to see your baby nephew soon! They change so quickly, but no doubt you have seen plenty of photos already.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome