July 20, 2018, 01:22:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Housing Benefit  (Read 370 times)
Rainbow
Lifetime Member

« on: March 11, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »

s_hi

Sorry for the long absence again grief is one of the most horrible things to go through.

I'm just at the level where I can claim housing benefit, council tax benefit & looks like I could get ESA Support group income related instead of contribution based one. But my question is if I claim all those & go over the limit of money I have that gets me these benefits would I then not be allowed all of them?.

So would I be better off waiting a bit so my money goes down so I don't go over the limit allowed?

Thanks  Kiss
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »

I am not expert at this stuff, but my understanding is that it depends on your income limit. If your total income/savings is under 6,000 then you are fine and there are no deductions. If your total income/savings is between 6,000 and 16,000 then you don't lose everything but there is a sliding scale where you lose some. It is done to a formula which I will try to find online.....

'If you have more than 16,000 saved you will not be entitled to any of these benefits. If you have between 6,000 and 16,000 every 250 saved above 6,000 is treated as 1 income per week. So your benefits will reduce according to this extra income amount.'
http://www.bemoneyready.co.uk/how-savings-affect-your-benefits

So it depends which figure you are at. If it is on the edge of 16,000 and it's over that amount then you will not qualify for anything so it's always difficult at that point, and would not be a good plan to go onto Income related ESA.

Incidentally, it is my undersanding (from my son's application) that you don't in fact necessarily have to stop your contributions related ESA altogether, as I know for a fact that he still has Contributions Related ESA, but is given on top an 'underlying entitlement' ALSO to income related ESA to enable him to qualify for the other financial top-ups that he can get. e.g. he qualifies for disability premiums due to the fact that he is on higher levels of PIP (not the mobility one but the care one), but I think that those premiums are income related, and they know that his income is low enough to qualify. https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support
It may be better for some to be income related altogether but I don't fully understand all the pros and cons of it.

The system is very complicated and I cannot pretend to understand it all, and I also understand that these premiums are going to disappear under Universal Credit but if you are already on them at time of transfer then they will continue but won't be upgraded annually (ie won't ever increase financially). So that's another area where if your income drops then it's important to make sure you apply if you do qualify before UC kicks in. Even worse, some people are losing those premiums altogether if they go over to UC early (eg moving house) which seems blatantly unfair.

Rainbow
Lifetime Member

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »

Thanks so much Aggy as always  Kiss

Kaikagaga

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:06:57 AM »

I think that this question is very good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome