November 16, 2018, 06:10:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Previously full-time work won't let me work home parttime  (Read 332 times)
KV_Tofu

« on: May 21, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »

I used to work full-time in IT.
Then I went on maternity leave. My health severely deteriorated after the birth of my son and now I'm housebound.
Application to change my hours to part-time work from home has been rejected (and appeal rejected).
No idea how they expect me to return to work at the start of June when I specified that I couldn't get into the office.
Thoughts? Advice? Questions?

Thanks.. x
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »

So sorry to hear this. I guess that the application is always a request and not a right unfortunately even if you do have some rights under the Equality Act to ask for 'reasonable adjustments'. I assume that you have asked under that clause for the part time hours from home. That would be the best way to approach it I would think. Have they given you reasons for the rejection?

The question is, are they open to any adjustments? Can you discuss that with them? The problem is that if you cannot even get into the office then not much is open to you or them. You would have to go off sick then and they would eventually dismiss you under their sickness absence procedures (used to be called a Capability Procedure when I worked but that was aeons ago) - ie not the same as dismissal for misconduct anyway.

KV_Tofu

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »

Said things like it would impact too much as they need the person in my role to be full-time due to work load. And the cost of giving me a home DSE (also confusing because I never had one in office? It was just an online thing). And that I would be needed for meeting and training (apparently signing in remotely isn't appropriate).
I get the feeling they are trying to downsize my team and using this as a way of getting rid of someone. But who knows.
It also doesn't help that they're aware of the fact I'm moving further away from the office (I pointed this out to make a point about my increased difficulty of getting there in my state) but I think they used it against me.
My current idea is to either say I'm gonna leave kna couple of months so I am asking to work from home "full time" until that point. And/or research how the sickness works at my work place and use it wisely to drag out how long it'll be before I'm disciplined. IE use it in a way to give me rests between work days (whether that's home or not) to stop my health further deteriorating and drag out my employment and therefore income as long as I can before I'm let go / I leave (whatever happens first). I think work from home is at discretion of HR and your own manager and not part of the flexible working stuff. I'm only saying that because when I was pregnant they let me do one day of work at home a week without submitting anything except an email.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome