October 15, 2018, 06:53:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fit for work slip  (Read 377 times)
KV_Tofu

« on: May 30, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »

So I went to my GP to get a note to help my work pay attention to my needs for returning to work (or not..)
I am housebound and work don't seem to realise that I physically cannot come into the office without making myself very ill. They have so far refused me the "work from home" approach.
My dear visit resulted in the GP telling me she wanted to sign me off sick. I didn't want to be on sick pay so I asked her to say I was able to work as long as I worked from home. So she has given me this note.
I started worrying about it then noticed there's a section saying that if an employer cannot make these adjustments then you are deemed unfit for work. Is that so? As in.. if they say no to working from home then I am instantly seen as unable to work?
I also have some other information but I would like to Private Message anyone who knows about this stuff to discuss it further.
satmanbasil

Official CSF/ME Sufferer

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:39:01 PM »

Hi

think your find most of us have been in the position in our working life I certainly have been where you are now
you could ask the doctor for a sick note that states you can proceed with light duties and a phased return to work
which you can then sit down with your employer to work out what job your be doing and the number of hours you
manage a week. Only problem is not to be talked into more than you can manage as some employers may use it against
you if you fail to keep to the agreed time best to under sell your phased return so your able to still rebuild your energy
whilst keeping to the agreement...don't be talked into doing more than you feel you can.
you can for example do 2 days a week xx hours a day then over time increase the days or the hours in a day but always
make sure you control the time and speed of your return and don't over sell to please your employer.
Anne56

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »

Hi,

I would ask your employer if you can see Occupational Health. They will assess your needs. ME is classed as a disability and by law your employer gas to make 'reasonable adjustments to show that they are doing everything to keep you in work. 

I don't understand why your gp is saying you are fit for work when from what you say you obviously aren't. If you go back too soon you will make yourself worse. I speak from experience as I was on long term sick leave after pushing myself to continue working. My employer thought they had done enough by reducing my hours and allowing me to apply for other roles. OH said I needed flexible hours but my employer couldn't provide them. Eventually my contract was terminated.

OH are there to help you. Also I would get some info to give to your employer and OH. ActionforME have some excellent leaflets.

Good luck with it all.
KV_Tofu

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »

Hi,

I would ask your employer if you can see Occupational Health. They will assess your needs. ME is classed as a disability and by law your employer gas to make 'reasonable adjustments to show that they are doing everything to keep you in work. 

I don't understand why your gp is saying you are fit for work when from what you say you obviously aren't. If you go back too soon you will make yourself worse. I speak from experience as I was on long term sick leave after pushing myself to continue working. My employer thought they had done enough by reducing my hours and allowing me to apply for other roles. OH said I needed flexible hours but my employer couldn't provide them. Eventually my contract was terminated.

OH are there to help you. Also I would get some info to give to your employer and OH. ActionforME have some excellent leaflets.

Good luck with it all.

Hey
Thanks for your reply.
I'm the one that told her to sign me as capable as working as long as it was from home. I work/ed in IT. They don't have an OH person.
I tried asking for flexible hours (work from home) but they won't let me. I thought the note, which I have now given in, would make them realise I literally couldn't get it so they would have to do it if they wanted to have me back. But I stead they have just pointed out they said no once and that's how it will stand. Guess I'm just gonna have to sit around and wait for them to get annoyed at me being off sick now..
hanoisss

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 07:00:50 AM »

I agree with this opinion.
Anne56

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »

Hi KV,
Myemployer didn't have a resident OH officer but they sent me to the OH department at the local hospital. It might be worth you looking into what facilities are available for your employer. Also, I would take a look at their sickness policy (they should have one). I got all the information I could so that I knew my stuff when I had meetings with them when I was off sick. I even went to the Jobcentre where I spoke to a Disability advisor who put me in touch with an organisation who gave me support. I saw a support worker regularly and she even attended meetings with my employer when I was too ill to attend. You need to arm yourself with as much info and support as possible. I know it is difficult when you are feeling ill but at least you know you have done all you can. As I said AforME do some excellent booklets that you can download to give to your employer. One even explains ME/CFS and how it affects someone in work.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome