December 16, 2018, 03:50:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Petition to make autism etc. training mandatory for medical staff  (Read 653 times)
Wits_End
Care Giver

« on: July 20, 2018, 11:41:41 PM »

I know this is very off-topic, but I thought some people here might be interested in a petition to "Prevent avoidable deaths by making autism/learning disability training mandatory", which has been started by someone after her mildly autistic son died in hospital after being given a drug he had had a previous bad reaction to.

The petition is here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/221033

If you want the background, you can find a summary of the inquest here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/full-story-day-oliver-mcgowan-1474471 but be warned, the story is pretty horrendous.

If you do choose to sign, please be aware that you need to check your email for a link to confirm you're a real person before the actual signature will go through.

His family are really keen to make sure nobody else has to go through what they've suffered, so please pass it on if you can think of anyone who might be interested.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:52:11 PM by Wits_End » Logged
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 05:49:20 AM »

This is worthwhile. I've signed.

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 07:55:29 AM »

Thank you. I too have signed. The number of deaths of people with all kinds of learning disability is terrible - in long term care facilities as well as hospital. Many are not investigated properly either (Southern Health Foundation Trust were found to have had hundreds died in their care that were not investigated a couple of years back). The mother of one of them, (Conor Sparrowhawk was the son) has worked to highlight his case and others  but often it's said 'lessons have been learned' and yet nothing substantial changes.

chill

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »

Thank you witsend for posting this, things need to change and i have signed. thanks again.
chill
Wits_End
Care Giver

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »

I'd forgotten I'd posted this here!

Thank you to everyone who signed: enough signatures were collected for Parliament to debate this, which happened about a month ago.  Let's hope it will bring about some change.

Here's the link to the result: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/221033
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome