November 16, 2018, 05:17:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Upcoming home PIP assessment - any suggestions/recommendations?  (Read 624 times)
Wits_End
Care Giver

« on: July 15, 2018, 10:54:32 PM »

Title says it all, really.  Caree has a home PIP assessment shortly - I note the blurb says it will be about 60 minutes.  As if ...

Any tips, hints etc. most welcome ... thanks!
agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:21:58 AM »

Hello there Wits End. Although I have not myself had an assessment for PIP, I have some paperwork I could send to you which could be of help - a very good guide for example which tells you quite precisely what happens and what you may be asked, plus some of the guides that are produced by the DWP for the providers who do the assessments, (helps to know what they are looking for). I will pm you as I would need your email address for attachments.

Aggie

chill

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »

Aggie, could you possibly send this to me too. ? I have been thinking of applying for pip but the application process for esa nearly caused a mental breakdown so I have been to scared to apply, this info may help me, if you could pm me I would really appreciate it
Chill
TJ

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »

Hi WE,

I found the PIP assessment far more difficult than the ESA.  They ask the same questions but in different ways in an attempt to catch you out.

An occupational therapy assessment helped me to get the standard care component.  I missed the mobility component as I was told to raise my legs while her hand was resting on my upper thigh.  She applied no resistance and I was able to raise my legs around 10cm.  From this she established I could walk up to 200m (I can walk 50m on good days but bad days I am housebound).  I told my physio and he shocked.  He said the only thing they can establish from that test is that your nerves in your legs are intact.

I was going to challenge the decision but decided against it as the person doing the reconsideration can take away points already awarded.  Many people with ME are not successful with PIP so I counted myself lucky.

agapanthus
Staff
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »

Aggie, could you possibly send this to me too. ? I have been thinking of applying for pip but the application process for esa nearly caused a mental breakdown so I have been to scared to apply, this info may help me, if you could pm me I would really appreciate it
Chill

Sorry, Chill, only just seen this today as I am on my way to bed. I will pm you in the morning about it - yes, can definitely send you some info to help.

Wits_End
Care Giver

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:15:25 PM »

I was going to challenge the decision but decided against it as the person doing the reconsideration can take away points already awarded.  Many people with ME are not successful with PIP so I counted myself lucky.

Oh dear, that's a depressing thought ... :( 

I'll go into this in more detail in the private section, away from prying eyes, but I didn't feel it went very well.  HP seemed to ask some irrelevant questions, didn't - to my mind - "do what it said on the tin" in terms of what the guidance said, and pretty much gagged me.  I'll come back and put a link to the post once I've finished it.
Wits_End
Care Giver

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 12:35:59 AM »

Right, have posted a fuller account here: http://forum.chronicfatiguesyndrome.me.uk/index.php/topic,20322.0.html
satmanbasil

Official CSF/ME Sufferer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »

hi

A good thing to remember when going to your assessment is to read up from a copy of the pip form you sent in, as you know the HCP will ask questions related to the pips form checking
that your singing from the same hymn book so to speak you wouldn't believe how many claimants fall down by answering the questions put different from what's submitted in the form
having said that it don't help if the HCP is leading you on with their questions in the hope to trip you up.
Going by what your asked you should get an idea what part of the pips question they are asking about so try to concentrate on what the HCP and tailor your answers clearly making sure
they understand the medical issues you have

best of luck
Wits_End
Care Giver

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 10:51:10 PM »

A good thing to remember when going to your assessment is to read up from a copy of the pip form you sent in, as you know the HCP will ask questions related to the pips form checking
that your singing from the same hymn book so to speak you wouldn't believe how many claimants fall down by answering the questions put different from what's submitted in the form
having said that it don't help if the HCP is leading you on with their questions in the hope to trip you up.
Going by what your asked you should get an idea what part of the pips question they are asking about so try to concentrate on what the HCP and tailor your answers clearly making sure
they understand the medical issues you have

You'd think they would, wouldn't you?  It would be logical to ask you about the things you were claiming for rather than those you weren't?
Wits_End
Care Giver

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 12:58:34 AM »

Okay, here's my HUGE SUGGESTION for anyone going through this:

You may not be allowed to record the actual session, but make sure you record your responses.  Have someone else there to do it if necessary.  That way, when a report comes back to you - 3+ months later - which diverges significantly from your memory of events, you have chapter and verse to quote. 

I've posted a fuller account in the private section, link upthread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome