April 24, 2019, 07:49:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: An alternative perspective on Self-Employment  (Read 92 times)
ChronicallyTired

« on: April 02, 2019, 12:56:27 PM »

Hello All,

I want to write this because I believe that self-employment need not be the fearful jump it is often described as.

I've been self-employed now for the past 6 years and I believe anyone can do it.

There are only two things I think you need to make the change and those are:

1) Skills

Everyone has skills. You have skills that you probably don't even know about because you've been educated (indoctrinated??!) into a society that tends to undervalue your skills and certainly most of the time doesn't pay you what you're worth. This is evidenced by the growing gap between that 1% at the very top and the rest of us.  

I believe that you know things that you've spent your life acquiring and there are people out there who want to know what you know or use your skills to help them achieve something. The trick, for me, is understanding your own value.

Now I don't buy into the hypes and fads and all that, but one excellent model for helping you evaluate your skills and what you can do to earn a living for yourself can be found in the Japanese model of Ikigai.

Ikigai is fascinating. In the culture of Okinawa, ikigai is thought of as "a reason to get up in the morning"; that is, a reason to enjoy life. It is for this reason why the peoples of Okinawa are said to live longer than the rest of us - because they have their ikigais!

I'd encourage you to read this article about feeling drained at work and consider the connection between what you do every day and your health.  I believe there is a better way for us all to live; and that way starts with taking control of your own life.

2) bravery/courage.

The second element is to just find the strength to be brave. I know how hard this is. But if we are all truly children of either a conscious creator or a completely chaotic unconscious energy, in both circumstances, we are created to live our fullest life and live what is in our hearts. Be brave enough to live the way you want.

What does this all have to do with self-employment? Well, finding that thing that gets you excited every morning and gives you a sense of purpose, a reason for being, is to me, the very first step in giving you the strength and courage you need to move out of that toxic system and into a healthier, more fulfilling life.

I hope it helps!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:04:04 PM by ChronicallyTired » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome