October 22, 2017, 08:29:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Acid/alkaline balance  (Read 11555 times)
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 08:43:55 AM »

Hi mins mum,

That's great news - really chuffed for you (and your daughter)  sign0098

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
mins mum
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »

Thanks, I am pleased to bits that something so simple, natural and cheap has worked so well so quickly. I hope other people who have this quirk can try it out and get good results too, although I know what works for some definately doesn't work for others.
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »

Have been looking at this. Roger I got the ph strips and have found it very interesting.  I don't bother with the first thing testing as I know that would be off the "richter scale" but have been testing during the day and mostly scored 6.5 except for one day later on when it went to 5.5 so .... what had I been eating/drinking or stressed about that changed it!?!?!?!

Also i was also reading about the link between too much adrenaline - creating cortisol - making the body more acidic.  Funnily enough "adrenaline rush" creating too much cortisol is something I have mentioned to my GP before because a friend of mine who is actually a GP asked if I had been tested for it.  My GP referred this back to my cardiologist who I am seeing early July but from what I understand its a simple 24 urine collection to see how much cortisol is in the body. I am thinking if I create too much adrenaline (which can be a genetic factor or stress created) that would be affecting my acid levels?!
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 12:06:52 PM »

Hi E,

Yes, the adrenalin rush is why stress causes acidity. So, first job - de-stress! Failing that, cut down on acid forming foods and increase alkalising foods. Failing that, there are supplements that do the job. Some expensive, some not so expensive. Alka-Clear is a good and reasonably priced one. If you want to try that, just type alka clear into the Bodykind search box, but buy the powder rather than the capsules - it works out cheaper.

mins mum
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 08:08:53 AM »

Tut and bother, polite for swearing.
Daughter is full of lactic acid now. CFS bloods showed change from just below 7.5 (not 5 as I put in the other posting!) to just over 7, test taken 13/4. Went to acupuncture and he said her eyes were full of acid and then went to clinic and he too said way too much lactic acid. I had stoppped filling her with green veg because she is bloating up and her balance changed so quickly. Have different supplements now to help the balance and sort out her ATP problems and then this should calm down. Clinic did tell me that lactic acid causes pains.
ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

Thanks for that Roger its made things a bit clearer now.  interestingly enough my PH was 7 today and the only difference that i can think of is I have changed to bottled water instead of the filter and has 3 days of bed rest so no stress, Plus I have got a few stressful bits of paper work out of the way last week.

E x
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »

If the bottled water's MINERAL water, that will make a difference, but I'll bet the rest & de-stress is the main thing. Well done, you  thumbsup

ElizaabethR
Lifetime Member

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »

whoo
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 05:58:21 AM »

Smiley

mitchie
Care Giver

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »

Thanks for all this info Roger.  And for all the other contributions and thoughts too.

As a result, I've just ordered the pH test kit for my (adult) daughter so we'll see what results come up.  Definitely worth looking into!

I was in fact just having a look to see if anyone had any ideas to try and get rid of these headaches that last for days.  I wondered if it was anything to do with blood sugar levels but she is already on a diet free of gluten, wheat, milk, caffeine and alcohol.  I wasn't sure how that could be improved on but this acid/alkaline balance certainly seems like a very useful trail to follow.

Additionally/meanwhile though, if anyone has any tips on how to get rid of the headache (she's on day 4 now), that would be useful.  It's especially painful behind the eyes.  She went onto audio books a while back so reading isn't an issue.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 06:42:46 AM »

Hi mitchie,

If the PH strips indicate high acid and your daughter has trouble correcting it, let me know.

Re headaches, I guess it depends on the cause, but relaxation and meditation techniques help many people with this problem.

mitchie
Care Giver

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 02:25:42 PM »

Thanks very much for that Roger,  I would certainly like to take you up on the offer if needs!

the list of acid/ alkaline forming foods I found was this one - http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm 

I guess that is fairly standard.  (?)

Maybe I should start a new thread about headaches.  I had the impression it was fairly common for CFS sufferers.

My daughter is staying with me for around the next 3 months and I am trying to make an extra attempt to find out about anything we haven't looked at yet.

She's quite into relaxation, meditation and yoga, not to say that can't all be tweaked!
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »

Hi michie,

No problem.

These charts vary because there are different opinions based on time of day etc. My advice would be to invest in the book mentioned in the original posts, so you can get a proper understanding of what acid/alkalinity is all about.

Strangely, I've never suffered headaches so I'm not really the person to talk to, though I'm still a fan of relaxation/meditation. Maybe starting a new thread to get other opinions and experiences would be a good idea.

Herblore
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 06:05:30 PM »

What's the book mentioned in the original post. My eyes are going and I don't want to read too much onscreen now. Had a quick look but didn't see it.

On Spike Milligans gravestone: 'I told you I was ill!'
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »

'The Acid-Alkaline Diet For Optimum Health by Christopher Vasey N.D' - no need for the grovelling thanks you were about to give, herb - always happy to help a CFSer, even one with a motorbike  Smiley

mitchie
Care Giver

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »

Just to say that we got the pH strips and the results were neutral acid/alkaline, so that's good.  It's ruled that out at least - and now we know that everybody else in the house is testing neutral.  Hey, we all had to have a go with the pee sticks.

(Mmm, yes, I've heard of poo sticks but I think that is something entirely different!)

Many thanks anyway and we'll keep a check on it from time to time. 
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 06:00:23 AM »

That's great news. mitchie - acidity can be a pain to sort out.

MissyRS

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »

I've visited amazon today and bought me some pH test strip thingys... so we can get them from there and do some forum fundraising while we're at it!!! 

I'm gonna be testing everything in sight soon!!! 
 smile

'Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards'.  Soren Kierkegaard
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »

clap clap clap - well done, you, Missy!

Just be careful not to wee on your hand. If you do, wipe it quick before anyone notices.

MissyRS

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »

oohhhhh great tip Roger!!!  Will Do!!!!  Although no-one should be looking... cheeky minxes!!! 
 wink

'Life is understood looking backwards, but it must be lived forwards'.  Soren Kierkegaard
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »

Always happy to oblige, Missy.  Smiley And trust nobody - be vigilant.

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »

I just came across this and thought that dome members might find it helpful -

The optimal condition for your body is a balanced environment that is not too acidic and not overly alkaline. If your body is overly acidic, you may be more susceptible to certain illnesses. You may also become deficient in certain nutrients. This is because when the body is too acidic, the body may need to take minerals such as calcium, potassium and sodium from your bones to neutralize the acid. This can put your body under a lot of strain.

Because of the prevalence of the Western diet and an inactive lifestyle, many people today are somewhat acidic. If your acidity gets extreme, it is known as acidosis — a condition which requires urgent medical attention. If it is mild, you may not notice a problem at first, until you find yourself feeling worse and worse in unexpected ways.

Signs your body may be too acidic

•   You feel fatigued, even when you’ve had enough sleep.
•   You feel depressed or have a hard time enjoying things that you used to.
•   You find yourself especially irritable for no discernable reason.
•   You feel like you cannot focus or have “brain fog” often.
•   You frequently develop infections, colds and flus.
•   Your skin is dry, even in the warmer months.
•   You have acne or other skin problems.
•   You have hormonal imbalance issues.
•   You frequently develop yeast infections.
•   You feel like your digestion is sluggish, or frequently experience constipation or diarrhea.
•   You find yourself becoming short of breath often.
•   You frequently experience joint pain.
•   You often experience headaches.
•   You experience chronic allergies or sinus pain.
•   You suffer from chronic pain that is not due to an injury or a medical condition.
•   Your neck often feels stiff or sore.
•   You have sensitive gums and teeth.

If you find you are experiencing multiple symptoms on this list, it’s time to check your pH. You can either have this done by a health professional or you can do it yourself at home. If you’re going the DIY route, you can purchase pH test strips that use your saliva or urine. If you get a reading lower than 6.5, your body is too acidic.

If your pH reading is significantly lower than 6.5, you may have a more serious case of acidosis. If this is the case, make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as you can. If the reading is 6.5 or slightly lower, you may be able to combat the problem at home (although it never hurts to visit a health professional you trust, just to be safe).

Here is how to get your body back in balance:

Quit eating processed foods

Cut out processed food if your body is acidic.

These are often acidic, and seriously, they’re not doing any of your body’s systems any good. Processed foods include fast food, boxed meals and many packaged products. If there are more than five ingredients on the label, you’re better off skipping it. Make a commitment to cooking nutritious meals made from fresh ingredients at home. This is one of the most important things you can do for your pH and your overall health.

Stop eating so much sugar

It is best to eliminate the refined sugar in your diet altogether. This definitely means no soda (super acidification powers in those fizzy, sugary drinks). If you need to sweeten your meals and beverages, use coconut crystals, raw honey or unprocessed stevia leaves instead. Just remember, moderation is important for these natural sweeteners.

Stay away from artificial sweeteners

They may promote acidity, and they’re also terrible for your health. Essentially the artificial sweeteners in soda, coffee and flavored drinks trick your body. Consuming them often may even lead to metabolic syndrome.

Cut down on the coffee

While coffee itself has a lot of health benefits, it can also be acidic on your system. If you’re struggling with mild acidosis, it may be best to quit the coffee for a while, or at least cut down. Try to replace your coffee habit with herbal tea. Green tea is great and red rooibos tea is a delicious option which does not contain caffeine. You can also try these great energy-boosting smoothies.

Get white flour out of your diet

When your body is acidic, eating white flour doesn’t help.

White flour is heavily processed and stripped of its nutritious compounds. Try these great gluten-free flours for a healthy alternative.

Reduce your consumption of both dairy and meat

While these can be healthy (especially when organic and grass-fed), they can also be acidic. Either eliminate them for a while until your body is back to a healthy pH or cut down. Double up on vegetables and fresh fruits instead.

Eat your veggies

Many fruits and vegetables have an alkalizing effect on your body, so make sure you’re getting an ample amount of them. These include dark green, leafy vegetables like kale, arugula, spinach, Swiss chard and collard greens, along with lemons, carrots, beets, turnips, cayenne peppers and garlic.

Drink lots of water

Make sure you’re getting at least eight glasses each and every day. Proper hydration is key to getting your body back into balance.

Take steps to reduce your stress

Meditation, yoga and tai chi are all wonderful practices that can help you greatly with your stress relief quest. Make room in your schedule to unwind and do the things you love to do.

Exercise

Sedentary behavior may contribute to acidity, so make sure you get moving and stay moving. Start by taking a walk every day. Next, add a routine that includes strength training three times per week. You could also take a class in a fun activity that you’ve always wanted to learn, like dancing or kickboxing.

Don’t smoke

If you still do, quit. Cigarettes are great for promoting a toxic environment in your body.

Take supplements

Talk to a health professional you trust about the possibility of supplementing with magnesium, if needed.

If you follow these steps, you should soon find that your body is becoming less acidic. Take a pH test every couple of weeks to chart your progress. If your pH does not go down into a healthy range, or if your symptoms are persisting, it’s time to go see a health professional you trust.

– Tanya Mead

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome