December 12, 2017, 12:24:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Free Kindle PC, Mac and Phone Apps  (Read 14740 times)
angeleyes40
Site Owner
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« on: June 06, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »

Free Kindle PC app

Hi folks...

A few members who don’t have portable readers have told me they’d like to read ‘Broken Cats....’ but are concerned that downloading the Kindle PC app might be a complex procedure and that, anyway, reading the book on a PC/laptop might be difficult. For anyone in that boat, here’s an idea -

First, go to here -Kindle PC app then simply click on ‘Download now’ - it takes about 30 seconds and the Kindle app will appear on your desktop. It’s that simple.

When you open the app, you’ll find it includes three free books, so you can open one of them to see how easy they are to read. You’ll also see the page turning arrows at the side of the text and that when you close and reopen the book, it reopens at the page you were last on.

If you find it as easy to handle as I did and would like to download ‘Broken cats...’, you just buy it in the normal way and the book downloads straight into your Kindle app – easy-  thumbsup

I hope all that makes sense, but please let me know if not.

angeleyes40 xx

SL:

There are also apps for other formats like OSX and various phones.

OSX / Mac

All Kindle Reading Apps
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:37:14 PM by Slow_Leopard » Logged

There is more CFS/ME information and CFS/ME sufferers stories and experiences on the Main Website Please take a look....
carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:13:52 AM »

The Kindle PC app Is so easy to download, install and use, and it saves the page you were on every time and goes right back to it when you open the programme, it is fantastic, such an easy to way to read Rogers book, so now you have absolutetly no excuse not to jump in and get a faantastic read! I wasnt sure how i would take tor eading a book on the comp but its great, I dont have to hurt myself holding a book or fight to find a comfortable position.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

After 12 years of trying, I'm now A OK

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »

Thanks, carrie - now then, how much did I promise you, I've forgotten  Smiley

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

hee20hee20hee roger, that ones on me, next time i will need the cheque in the post  Huh?
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »

How kind, carrie.  Smiley 

carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »

come on ladies and gents, if you haven't got a kindle the PC program is absolutely fantastic, it was so easy to download and so easy to use, if anything i found it better than a book, the page marker didn't fall out as it automatically went to the last page I had read even when I had opened a different book, it was absolutely amazing,

I wish I had known about it sooner, and Roger's book is the best read I have had in a very long time, it might be quite deep but it is not hard reading, it is extremely well written and much too good to miss out on, come on it is so cheap and for such a good cause, whats to lose.

Thanks for a wonderful time of entertainment Roger, your a star.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »

Thank you, carrie - that means a great deal!

It's worth pointing out another useful feature of the PC app - you can adjust the page and print sizes to match your eyes!

carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »

Oh great Roger, I hadn't realised that, thats great, I managed on what it set for me, but thats great to know for another time.

And yur welcome, the work put in to the book needs recognition!
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:31:49 PM »

Yes, carrie - when a book's open, click on view - you can then click on 'full screen' and 'show display options', where you can do all manner of wondrous things  Smiley

carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »

That is fab Roger, I will have to give it a try and see what i can do. It get even better lol
Chris_Pink
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »

I seriously have never been on a forum that's as big and supportive as this  86

The Kindle app for the PC is pretty amazing when you think about it. Roger...I'll be checking your novel soon my friend!

Here's also to angeleyes40 and those involved with starting this forum! Really pleased to have found this place.

Now I'm going to make like a real 21st century man and have a good cry  whoo
angeleyes40
Site Owner
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »

I seriously have never been on a forum that's as big and supportive as this  86

The Kindle app for the PC is pretty amazing when you think about it. Roger...I'll be checking your novel soon my friend!

Here's also to angeleyes40 and those involved with starting this forum! Really pleased to have found this place.

Now I'm going to make like a real 21st century man and have a good cry  whoo

Hi chris,

Thank you for your kind comments, but hey, now that you are going to cry, did I tell you that we even give out free tissues, or a sleeve if required.....  rolleyes  smile

But hey, all joking apart I am really glad that you managed to find us.....  thumbsup

angeleyes40 xx

There is more CFS/ME information and CFS/ME sufferers stories and experiences on the Main Website Please take a look....
mitchie
Care Giver

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »

Gosh!  I've just managed to download the Kindle PC reader which, as has been said, is free.  It is a price I am often drawn to.  And followed that by getting Roger's book The Naked Emperor.  (I am also drawn to what promises to be a very good and lighthearted read.)

The whole process was pretty straightforward even for me and I have trouble opening the lid of the PC - honest!

roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »

Hey, thanks, mitchie!!!

Having read it you then have two options - 1) give it a 5 star review on Amazon and here on the forum. 2) be executed. Your choice  Smiley

But seriously, I hope you like it and, again, THANK YOU!

mitchie
Care Giver

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »

Well, I'm a quarter way through already and it's looking like a 5 star review to me!  (And I don't much go for that execution thing anyway.  What?  Loosing my head and the ensuing sore throat?  Nah!)

Anyway, I'm really, really enjoying it so far and no doubt will to until the end.  I can definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone, even if they are up to reading just a few pages at a time.  You won't forget the general plot or mix up a multitude of characters - and every page is funny. 

And it's for a very good cause.
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »

Mitchie  Kiss Kiss Kiss

And I wouldn't really have executed you. I'm prone to idle threats  Huh?

Slow_Leopard
Code Monkey
Lifetime Member

Joint Hypermobility Syndrome

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »

There are also apps for other formats like OSX and various phones.

Although interestingly/shockingly (for computer geeks at least) there is not one for Linux.  The reason this is so mental is because the Kindle itself runs a Linux operating system.

OSX / Mac

All Kindle Reading Apps
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »

I think the Kindle is fine for reading fiction, but you can't beat a 'proper book' for reading non-fiction, where you want to refer back to certain aspects, and of course you don't get the EMFs that you get with a Kindle!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:07:40 PM by roger » Logged

carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »

There are other options for Linux users though not the kindle app still. I use two dependant on the format of the books I'm wanting to read as I am on Linux on my laptop due to Windows being crap. There is so much more room for play with Linux, there is a lot more support for technical issues and fixes are easy oncce you get the gist of the OS
Ceejay

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 06:03:41 PM »

I agree with slow leopard, that Kindle for android should net need two many changes for Linux.  I have to disagree(gently)  about Windows, as I really like Windows 10.   Then again, I have an iPad and I have a netbook I converted to Linux from Windows 97.  Perhaps I should change my username to eclectic Ceejay  smile. They all have pluses and minuses,but I use each for their pluses.  Oh, I also have a couple of Kindles, and some some dead tree books as well.
Ah well, the main thing is that I do read a lot.
Bestest wishes
Crystin
carrie
Staff
Lifetime Member

CFS and Fibro sufferer

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 01:45:15 AM »

Hi there ceejay, so lovely to see you back, I have missed you being around. My problem is that the updated Windows ten simply crashed and hung all the time, I couldn't find a fix and it didn't allow me to meddle to fix it myself, the main thing is that Windows and Mac monopolise the market so life is easier as all programs and ad ons etc are designed for these systems, it took me a little bit of learning to figure out alternatives, but from my first delvings into Linux about ten years ago to now it has come on tremendously, I just find it more user friendly, but my problem is I can't help but meddle and Linux allows me to do that lol
roger
Staff
Lifetime Member

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 05:28:44 AM »

Can I just echo Carrie's welcome back, ceejay?  smile

Ceejay

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 06:03:18 AM »

Hi Carrie, roger, thank you for the welcome back.

Carrie, I run a computer class for residents in these flats, and Windows ten installs were a bit of fun.  Most went on fine, but one or two were a bit painful, although the I sorted them out eventually, command line and dark arts :-)
As far as I am concerned, ther is no perfect system, they all have glitches.
The kindle is a bit different, it is designed for one task, reading, even down to the e ink so that ther is no glare, so eyes do not get tired as opposed to reading off pic screens etc.  And you can read it in bright sunlight.

Bestest wishes
Crystin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome