October 23, 2014, 07:40:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Leaky Gut Syndrome and CFS  (Read 1818 times)
Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« on: July 24, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »

http://www.mold-survivor.com/leaky_gut_syndrome.html

This is the best, most clearly explained and useful information on Leaky Gut Syndrome and ME/CFS I've ever read! I didn't manage to read all of it because it's quite long but I've bookmarked it and I'll definitely be referring back to it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:16:22 PM by Herblore » Logged

On Spike Milligans gravestone: 'I told you I was ill!'
roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...making good progress

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »

Thanks for that, herb - I've just read it all and it is indeed very good. It reminded me why I ALWAYS refuse antibiotics and it was nice to see my beloved apple cider vinegar mentioned, though it's a shame they didn't stress the importance of it being unpasteurised and unfiltered. A piece that all CFSers would do well to bookmark.

'Nothing is, but thinking makes it so'
Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 09:14:14 PM »

I didn't realise some apple cider vinegar is pasteurised and filtered! I buy Aspall Organic and I assume that's ok?

I've read a lot about leaky gut over the years and I sort of knew the things the article was saying but it's made things a lot clearer about the links between everything. It explains the blood test results of inflammation, bacteria and the high white blood cell count very well.

I've been concentrating on healing my leaky gut for a while and it's motivated me to step it up further. It mentions L glutomine. Have you used it?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:16:30 PM by Herblore » Logged

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »

I didn't realise some apple cider vinegar is pasteurised and filtered! I buy Aspall Organic and I assume that's ok?

I've read a lot about leaky gut over the years and I sort of knew the things the article was saying but it's made things a lot clearer about the links between everything. It explains the blood test results of inflammation, bacteria and the high white blood cell count very well.

I've been concentrating on healing my leaky gut for a while and it's motivated me to step it up further. It mentions L glutomine. Have you used it?

Most of it is, Herb. Don't know about Aspall, but it's worth checking out - being organic doesn't guarantee it. Pasteurisation destroys all the good stuff like it does in milk. It's important that its unfiltered, too.

agapanthus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »

Thanks for posting Herb. Really good article, and I am going to bookmark it too.
I am afraid that I think that Aspall ACV probably doesn't have the 'mother' in it - just had a quick look at their site anyway (ie it is organic but not unfiltered). I managed to get some with the 'mother' from my independent health shop.

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »

What does having 'the mother' in it mean Aggie? Mine comes from my local health food shop. Would you mind finding out where yours gets theirs from? Their supplier might have a website or supply to other companies that sell it online.

And what's the apple cider vinegar called? I may be able to find some if I have the name.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:21:18 PM by Herblore » Logged

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »

Having 'the mother' means it's unfiltered. I'll leave the rest to Aggie  Smiley

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »

Thanks for explaining Roger. Where do you get yours and what's it called?

agapanthus
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS sufferer...

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »

Sorry ... been out this afternoon.
Here is the link to the one that I buy from my health shop, but I have bought it by post at first. I then told my local shop about it, as it's less food miles for them than what they were selling, and does have the 'mother'. Once they stocked it, it started flying off the shelves! Actually it was Roger who put me on to this one.

http://www.ostlerscidermill.co.uk/

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »

Thanks! I've been trying to find raw milk that I can buy online so I can make my own yoghurt and I've got quite a few phone numbers. Our ancestors first made milk into yoghurt to preserve it for longer so I should be ok making it without a fridge.

Eventually I plan see if I can go without electricity for a week. There are solar chargers for laptops and I plan to get a solar shower from ebay. I have a handcrank lamp, and instead of candles I use jars with vegetable oil and wicks in (I can't tolerate candles unless they're wax and they're too expensive. It's all very exciting changing my life like this and CFS started me on this road so I'm very grateful to it!  Undecided

If I can go without electricity for a week then I can go longer and I'm convinced the grid is going to start failing. We had two power cuts quite recently.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:46:35 PM by Herblore » Logged

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »

Sorry ... been out this afternoon.
Here is the link to the one that I buy from my health shop, but I have bought it by post at first. I then told my local shop about it, as it's less food miles for them than what they were selling, and does have the 'mother'. Once they stocked it, it started flying off the shelves! Actually it was Roger who put me on to this one.

http://www.ostlerscidermill.co.uk/

Are the bottles plastic? I found this one in Amazon and it's in glass bottles:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001XMGTJU/ref=oss_product

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »

Hi Herb,

Yes, I'm afraid they are plastic bottles. The one on your link looks fine, but it's hellish expensive!

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »

Morning Roger.  Wink Yes I'm paying 3.60 extra for it to be in a glass bottle but I try to avoid plastic where possible. It's a heck of a dangerous! It's made from petroleum products and leeches into our food and drink. I think it's worth the extra expense. Expecially with my sensitivity levels; I can't be too careful can I?

Anyway I just saved about 12 because I was going to buy Chromium, which is really useful for me, being hypoglycemic, then I realised it might be in eggshells, looked it up and it is. You know I soak eggshells in cider vinegar and drink it and now I'll have the right type of vinegar. And glass bottles come in handy when I'm making herbal tinctures.

I'm so pleased you and Aggie told me about it! Quits on the Q link. If you have any more gems of wisdom throw them my way, but not too hard in case they hit me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:02:51 AM by Herblore » Logged

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »

I understand what you're saying, but if you have access to a half decent health food shop, you'll get glass bottles much cheaper than that.

Other ideas? I'm a huge blackstrap molasses and Aloe Vera juice fan. 

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »

Locally there's only, oh I've fogotten, what's that famous one? Holland & Barratt; I could check out their website but I doubt they have it. And Reapers and they only sell Aspall. Anyway I rarely get into town.

I think Blackstrap Molasses is probably too sweet for me what with the Candida. Can you get Aloe Vera juice affordably?

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »

Holland & Barrett - avoid.

This is the AV juice I use - http://www.bodykind.com/search/aloe%20vara%20juice/product/47-Aloe-Vera-Juice-2000ml.aspx it sounds expensive, but you only need half an egg cup full a day.

If you buy it, it helps the forum to use the bodykind link on the forum main page.

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »

Ow it is expensive! I'll have to leave it for now because I bought the cider but I'll bear it in mind. Cheers!  hug

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 11:18:34 AM »

Okay - but it lasts a couple of months - about 35p a day. Very good for the guts.

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »

I have been meaning to try it for a while. Around 4 years actually, I'm as bad as you with the Q link!  hee20hee20hee I'll probably get some in three weeks when I get my DLA.

Although I'm going to try the 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' diet.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm

I've been using Slippery Elm Bark to heal my leaky gut. The above book says that though mucoid herbs etc are often recommeded to heal the gut they do more harm than good because people with poor digestive systems can't digest it and harmful microbes etc live in it quite happily. What do you think?

I got my apple cider vinegar and it says on the bottle to keep it in sunlight in order for more of the 'mother' to grow'. Do you do that?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:11:26 PM by Herblore » Logged

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »

No....never heard that before, but why not?

It won't go off....lasts for years without refrigeration.

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »

Why not what? Believe the claim or try it? And are you talking about apple cider vinegar or Aloe Vera?

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 06:03:01 PM »

Yes and ACV

Herblore
Donator
Lifetime Member

There are no limits!

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »

I give up!  Huh? I'm guessing that you mean try it.

roger
Retired Moderator
Lifetime Member

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »

Sorry, herb - I think I must have been in a rush when I posted that.

Yes, I see no reason not to try it, and I mean the ACV not the Aloe VERA.

iddm
Lifetime Member

I'm a CFS and FM sufferer...

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »

what do you do with the ACV, drink it like juice? Sounds disgusting drinking vineger???
I don't really understand the concept of drinking this.... does it still contain alcohol?

I have found my next door neighbour interesting. She haD diverticulitis and was eating similar to my diet after having several IBS type episodes. She was picking up bugs and having time off work.
She was talking about my symptoms and considering asking about whether bugs had brought of CFS.
She was exhausted all the time.

Then she had a major episode which left her in emergancy surgury. One of the diverticular burst and she had peritonitis.
She now has a temporary colostomy and all the diseased bowel has been removed.

She now has ALL her energy back (desite still waiting to have a breast lump removed and on medication for that) and can eat what she likes. Shes is no longer anxious and brighter generally. She says she can FEEL that her body is absorbing foods again as it should.

Which definately leads me to  feel even more defintely..... that our gut is just not working properly. I would LOVE to have this disease cut away and be left normal, even if it does mean a temporary colostomy !!!!

iddm

I maybe a sufferer but I'm no longer a victim to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Black Rain by Crip

© Chronic Fatigue Syndrome